Why Is Mathematica Not Graphing This 3d Graph Correctly?

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter Ascendant0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
Ascendant0
TL;DR Summary
Trying to graph y = 5sin(1/x) in both an 2d and 3d graph, and the 3d isn't looking right
As you can see from the image here, when I graph the 2d graph of y = 5sin(1/x), it comes out like I'd expect. However, when I graph it in a 3d graph, it doesn't look right at all. Can someone tell me why it isn't displaying right, or is it and I'm just missing something when I add the z axis?

Mathematica 1.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to increase the number of plot points. But this function is just an ugly function, so don’t get your hopes up.

Likes Ascendant0
I have no explanation for that 3D graph. Its behavior near ##x=\pm 0.05## (##1/x \approx 20## radians) is strange. In the 3D plot, it is not graphing ##y=5\sin(1/x)##. It is graphing ##f(x,y)=5\sin(1/x)##, where ##y\in [-6,6]## doesn't even appear in the equation.

As @Dale mentioned, this is a case of low sampling relative to the frequency of the function. It is known as aliasing.

Likes Ascendant0
Dale said:
You need to increase the number of plot points. But this function is just an ugly function, so don’t get your hopes up.
Thank you. How do I go about doing that in Mathematica? I'm thinking I probably need to actually learn the Mathematica language to have more versatility like that?

I don't have experience with Mathematica and do not have it to test things on, but this looks like something to try:
Plot3D[ ... as before ...., PlotPoints ->{10000, 3}]
Click the PlotPoints option documentation here.
You might also try adding MaxRecursion -> r. That is supposed to help when the function changes rapidly.
PS. This looks like TERRIBLE documentation, leaving a lot to guess about. Am I missing something?

Likes Ascendant0