Why don't hardcore realists use MWI as their safe haven?

• I
  • Thread starter tzimie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bell Mwi
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of entangled pairs and the idea that communication between Alice and Bob can lead to extra correlations. The speaker, a hardcore realist, does not see the Many-Worlds Interpretation as a safe haven for local realism, as it is considered to be nonsensical and not a realistic interpretation of quantum theory. The speaker also mentions that the claims made by MWI proponents do not support the idea of Einstein locality, further dismissing it as a realistic interpretation of QT.
tzimie
Just wanted to check if my understanding is correct.

So, it is not important who makes the measurement first of the entangled pair, Bob and Alice decohere the particle with each other independently, creating a "spectrum" or Alices and Bobs on each side. This is trivial, local and there are no surprises.

Without any communication between Alice and Bob, the sets of Alices and Bobs appears to be independent, however, when they communicate they decohere into pairs where some extra correlation reveals.

Is this sketch correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
But why hardcore local realists don't use MWI as their safe heaven? Is it because they are not actually interested in saving local realism, but rather classical view of the world?

I'm a hard core realist and there is nothing about MWI that I would describe as a safe haven.

Jilang said:
I'm a hard core realist and there is nothing about MWI that I would describe as a safe haven.

But why? It is local...

P.S.
I was thinking you (hardcore realists) are extinct already.

tzimie said:
But why hardcore local realists don't use MWI as their safe heaven?

Because for a hardcore realist MWI is hardcore nonsense. It is simply not a realistic interpretation of QT. Which follows logically from the claim that it is also Einstein-local but recovers quantum predictions. So, or the claim that it is Einstein-local or the claim that it is realistic is wrong - else Bell's inequality would follow. Given that above claims are made by MWI proponents, it is simply nonsense. And, given that there is indeed nothing in it which could be claimed to violate Einstein locality, it is simply not realistic.

Likes Jilang

Related to Why don't hardcore realists use MWI as their safe haven?

1. What is the "Bell: Bob and Alice in MWI" experiment?

The "Bell: Bob and Alice in MWI" experiment is a thought experiment in quantum mechanics that was proposed by physicist John Bell in 1964. It explores the concept of the Many-Worlds Interpretation (MWI), which suggests that multiple parallel universes exist and are constantly branching off from each other.

2. How does the "Bell: Bob and Alice in MWI" experiment work?

In the experiment, two particles are entangled and then separated. The particles, which are in a superposition of states, are observed by two different observers - Bob and Alice. According to the MWI, the observers will see different outcomes, and each outcome will correspond to a different universe.

3. What does the "Bell: Bob and Alice in MWI" experiment prove?

The experiment provides evidence for the Many-Worlds Interpretation, which suggests that all possible outcomes of a quantum event actually occur in different universes. This challenges the traditional interpretation of quantum mechanics, which states that the act of observation collapses the superposition of states into a single outcome.

4. Why is the "Bell: Bob and Alice in MWI" experiment important?

The experiment is important because it provides support for the Many-Worlds Interpretation, which is a controversial but intriguing theory in quantum mechanics. It also has implications for our understanding of the nature of reality and our place in the universe.

5. Are there any criticisms of the "Bell: Bob and Alice in MWI" experiment?

Yes, there are several criticisms of the experiment, including the fact that it is a thought experiment and cannot be tested in a real laboratory setting. Additionally, some physicists argue that the Many-Worlds Interpretation is not the only possible explanation for the results of the experiment and that it is still a highly debated and controversial concept in the scientific community.