Why Does the Stress-Energy Tensor Conservation Lead to a Surface Integral?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem related to a self-study of A First Course in General Relativity (2E) by Schutz. The problem involves using the identity Tμ\nu,\nu=0 to prove a result for a bounded system. One person is asking for advice on their solution attempt while another person is questioning the use of the identity and pointing out an error in the solution manual.
mason

Homework Statement

Hello I'm trying to self study A First Course in General Relativity (2E) by Schutz and I've come across a problem that I need some advice on.

Here it is:
Use the identity Tμ[itex]\nu[/itex],[itex]\nu[/itex]=0 to prove the following results for a bounded system (ie. a system for which Tμ[itex]\nu[/itex]=0 outside of a bounded region
a)
[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex]T0[itex]\alpha[/itex]d3x=0

Homework Equations

T is a symmetric tensor so Tμ[itex]\nu[/itex]=T[itex]\nu μ[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The Integral is over spatial variables so I brought the integral inside making
[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex]T0[itex]\alpha[/itex]d3x
=[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}[/itex]T0[itex]\alpha[/itex]d3x
=[itex]\int[/itex]T0[itex]\alpha[/itex],0d3x
and then I would say I use the identity given to say T0[itex]\alpha[/itex],0=0

In the solution manual though, Schutz says the identity gives us that
T0[itex]\alpha[/itex],0=-Tj0,j for a reason that completely eludes me and then used gauss' law to convert it to a surface integral, then said that since the region of integration is unbounded the integral can be taken anywhere (ie outside of the bounded region where T=0).

Does anybody know why I can't just say that T0[itex]\alpha[/itex],0=0 from the identity Tμ[itex]\nu[/itex],[itex]\nu[/itex]=0 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, Mason. Welcome to PF!

mason said:
Does anybody know why I can't just say that T0[itex]\alpha[/itex],0=0 from the identity Tμ[itex]\nu[/itex],[itex]\nu[/itex]=0 ?

Keep in mind the Einstein summation convention: a repeated index denotes summation over that index. So, the left hand side of Tμ[itex]\nu[/itex],[itex]\nu[/itex]=0 is actually the sum of 4 terms.

In the solution manual though, Schutz says the identity gives us that
T0[itex]\alpha[/itex],0=-Tj0,j

Note that this equation can't be correct. There is a lone ##\alpha## index on the left, but no ##\alpha## index on the right. Did you copy this equation correctly?

Related to Why Does the Stress-Energy Tensor Conservation Lead to a Surface Integral?

1. What is the stress-energy tensor?

The stress-energy tensor is a mathematical representation of the distribution of matter and energy in a given space. It describes the stress, pressure, and energy density of a physical system.

2. How is the stress-energy tensor used in physics?

The stress-energy tensor is used in physics to study the effects of matter and energy on the curvature of space and time, as described by Einstein's theory of general relativity. It is also used in the equations of motion for particles and fields in the theory of classical mechanics.

3. How is the stress-energy tensor calculated?

The stress-energy tensor is calculated by taking the total energy and momentum of a system and using them to determine the stress and pressure at each point in space and time. This can be done using mathematical equations and formulas based on the principles of general relativity.

4. What is the significance of the stress-energy tensor in cosmology?

In cosmology, the stress-energy tensor is used to describe the distribution and evolution of matter and energy in the universe. It is a key component in understanding the expansion of the universe and the formation of structures such as galaxies and clusters of galaxies.

5. How does the stress-energy tensor relate to the conservation of energy and momentum?

The stress-energy tensor plays a crucial role in the conservation of energy and momentum in physics. In general relativity, it is used to describe the exchange of energy and momentum between matter and the gravitational field. In classical mechanics, it is used to calculate the change in energy and momentum of a system over time.