Why does my TI-89 give an incorrect result for this integration problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses a discrepancy between the result obtained by a TI-89 Titanium calculator and the correct answer for a given integral. The conversation also delves into the details of the calculation and possible reasons for the error. It is determined that the calculator is producing a modular term instead of the correct value, causing a discrepancy in the final result.
musemonkey
The integral is

[tex] I = \int_0^\pi (~3\cos^2(t) - 1~)\sin^2(t)~dt [/tex].

My TI-89 Titanium says [tex] I = 0 [/tex], but I know the answer (verified by hand and by mathematica) to be [tex] -\pi / 8 [/tex]. I am 100% sure I entered it correctly into the calculator. What gives?

Computer science news on Phys.org
If you take pi degrees as the integration boundary, the result is very small. Are you sure you don't have it set to degrees and it's rounding off that small result to zero?
Are you sure you are entering the formula with X instead of T (and T happens to be equal to zero)?

No I'm in radians. The indefinite integral result that the calculator gives is

[tex] \int (~3\cos^2(t) - 1~)\sin^2(t)~dt = \frac{\sin(t)\cdot\left(6\cdot\sin^2(t)+1\right)\cdot\cos(t)}{8}-\frac{\mod(2t-\pi,2\pi)}{16} [/tex],

whereas the correct answer is

[tex] \int (~3\cos^2(t) - 1~)\sin^2(t)~dt = -\frac{t}{8} + \frac{1}{4}\sin(2t) - \frac{3}{32}\sin(4t) [/tex].

Differentiating in the calculator the antiderivative that it gives does not give back anything that looks like [tex] (~3\cos^2(t) - 1~)\sin^2(t) [/tex].

Wierd eh?

Cool, in my day :-p we only had the 83+ which could only do integrations numerically.

Anyway, yep, it's weird. I see some similarities, for example sin(t) cos(t) ~ sin(2t) and mod(2t - pi, 2pi) / 16 would be just t/8 for t > pi/2 (and pi + t/8 for t < pi/2), so some terms seem to agree. Perhaps you can check exactly which terms are there and see what goes wrong... or by looking at the form guess how the TI is doing the integration?

Well, first, can anyone reproduce this supposed error?

musemonkey said:
Differentiating in the calculator the antiderivative that it gives does not give back anything that looks like [tex] (~3\cos^2(t) - 1~)\sin^2(t) [/tex].
So what? Expressions don't have to look the same to be equal...

Maybe your TI-89 is broken, or you entered it incorrectly. Mine gives [tex]-\pi/8[/tex] for the definite integral and
[tex]\frac{\sin(t) \cdot \left( 6 (\sin(t))^2 + 1) \cdot \cos(t)}{8} - \frac{t}{8}[/tex]
for the indefinite integral. Differentiating that gives the following mess:
[tex]\left(\frac{9 \cdot (\sin(t))^2}{4} + 1/8 \right) \cdot (\cos(t))^2 - \frac{3 \cdot (\sin(t))^4}{4} - \frac{(sin(t))^2}{8} - 1/8[/tex]
but subtracting the original integrand from this gives zero. Have you tried that?

Note: my TI-89 (non-Titanium) is HW1, AMS version 2.05, 07/05/2000. What is yours? (If you don't know how to check, at Home, go F1(Tools) - A(About).)

Last edited:
OK, that's pretty much what I expected. I'll take a photo of the screen and send it to Texas Instruments.

Differentiating the antiderivative and subtracting the original integrand does give zero. The difference between what your and my calculators are producing is that mine gives a modular term instead of -t/8. Cool, so we've narrowed down the problem. Thanks!

Last edited:
Note that the modular term is precisely equal to -t/8 in one part of the integration region, and it is equal to that up to a constant (which is irrelevant for the differentiation of course) in the rest. So it correctly calculates an anti-derivative (just not the one you'd want, if you expected something continuous :smile:).
However, for the definite integration that will give a factor [itex](2 \pi) \times (\pi / 2)[/itex] too much.

Some more information: a friend of mine also gets [tex]-\pi/8[/tex] on his TI-89 Titanium (HW4, AMS 3.10, 07/18/2005).

I'm pretty sure the reason you get zero is because of the discontinuity of the indefinite integral your calculator obtains: what you get is periodic (with period pi), so if you try to obtain the definite integral using that, you will get zero.

Last edited:

Related to Why does my TI-89 give an incorrect result for this integration problem?

What is a "TI-89 integration error"?

A "TI-89 integration error" refers to an error that occurs when attempting to perform integration calculations on a TI-89 graphing calculator. It indicates that there is an issue with the input or the calculator's programming, preventing it from completing the integration calculation.

What causes a "TI-89 integration error"?

There are several possible causes for a "TI-89 integration error." These can include incorrect input, a syntax error, or a problem with the calculator's internal programming. It can also occur if the calculator does not have enough memory to perform the integration calculation.

How can I fix a "TI-89 integration error"?

The first step in fixing a "TI-89 integration error" is to check the input and make sure it is entered correctly. If there are no obvious errors, try clearing the calculator's memory and attempting the integration calculation again. If the error persists, consult the calculator's user manual or seek assistance from a professional.

Can I prevent "TI-89 integration errors" from occurring?

While it is not always possible to prevent "TI-89 integration errors," there are some steps that can help minimize their occurrence. These include double-checking input, avoiding complex or lengthy calculations, and regularly updating the calculator's software.

What should I do if a "TI-89 integration error" occurs frequently?

If you are experiencing frequent "TI-89 integration errors," it may be a sign of a more significant issue with the calculator. In this case, it is best to seek assistance from a professional or contact the manufacturer for support.