Why Does My Noise Cancelling Mic Only Work When I Pinch the Wires?

• Thread starter wwiaftm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrical
In summary, the problem is that the bike to bike radio with a microphone and speakers has poor quality when riding at a speed over 20mph. The speaker wires have been cut and a noise-canceling mic has been soldered in, but it only works when the wires are pinched. Other attempts to fix the issue, such as using flux or shielding the wires, have not been successful. Multiple mics have also been tried with the same result. It has been suggested to try a resistor, but this did not work either. The possibility of a poor joint and the need for better plugs have been considered, but have not solved the issue.
wwiaftm
to start off let me state the problem... I have a bike to bike radio that has a microphone and speakers. At speed of over 20mph it is very poor quality. I have cut the wires and tried to solder in a noise canceling mic. the mic does not pic up anything but If i pinch the wires

------finger------
(wire - one inch of space - wire)
------finger------

the mic works perfectly! if i connect the wires together it does not work.

one wire is insulated one is not and rides beside the insulated one.

things i have tried...

pinching to connect the wires with my bodies resistance works
covering both wires in flux works until the flux dries
sheilding the wires separately or togther does not work
i was told to try a resistor of .3 - .5 ohm this did not work
multiple mics give the same result
wiring in the old mic works fine still

any help would be helpful because i am stumped!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is it possible that when you squeeze these wires, you are putting pressure on a poor joint nearby?

Some 3 MM plugs are notorious for this. They can be made by pressing two pieces of metal together and these sometimes make a poor contact.

You can get better plugs if this is the case. Look for the ones that have the center pin coming through to the area where it gets soldered, not the ones that have this pin joined to another piece of metal.

I did try clamps in many places last night. Across the wires, and each wire individually, neither of these seemed to work. The plugs are original and the wire is cut in the center with plenty to work from. It does not seem to be loose or bad connection problem as I have tried soldering and clamping in different places many times. Thank you very much for the thought but it still won't work.

Related to Why Does My Noise Cancelling Mic Only Work When I Pinch the Wires?

1. What are the common signs of an electrical problem?

Common signs of an electrical problem include flickering lights, outlets or switches not working, frequent tripped circuit breakers, and burning smells or unusual noises coming from electrical outlets or appliances.

2. Can I fix an electrical problem myself?

In most cases, it is not recommended to fix an electrical problem yourself. Electrical work can be dangerous and should only be done by a licensed electrician who has the necessary training and experience to handle the task safely.

3. How can I prevent electrical problems in my home?

To prevent electrical problems, make sure to have your electrical system inspected by a professional regularly. Avoid overloading outlets and extension cords, and never use appliances or electronics with damaged cords or plugs.

4. What should I do if I experience an electrical emergency?

If you experience an electrical emergency, such as a fire or power outage, immediately turn off the power at the main circuit breaker and call 911. Do not try to handle the situation yourself.

5. How much does it cost to fix an electrical problem?

The cost of fixing an electrical problem can vary greatly depending on the specific issue and the extent of the repairs needed. It is best to get a quote from a licensed electrician for an accurate estimate.