Why does my inductor coil have no effect on my circuit

In summary, a physics professor from a college I visited said it was because my frequency generator was already pumping out the tuned electricity, but shouldn't the inductor atleast raise the voltage or something?
nst.john
I have the circuit with a drawing below, to create sonoluminescence. One of the steps needed was an inductor coil in order to achieve electrical resonance within the circuit. The link provided here: http://www.macgeisler.de/nld/sbsl-howto.html told me to find the inductance needed through the equation L=1/C(6.28(f)2) Where L is inductance, C is the capacitance of my transducers, he said to look at them as a parallel plate capacitor, but I just found the static capacitance on the website I bought it from which on the website said the static capacitance was 3650pF, and the resonant frequency which was 42kHz. When I made the inductor coil for this, using an iron nail covered in electrical tape and coated copper wire, I am getting all the same results on my voltage and frequency from the oscilloscope hooked up. This is AC electricity by the way. So why is my inductor coil not working or having any effect on my circuit? A physics professor from a college I visited said it was because my frequency generator was already pumping out the tuned electricity, but shouldn't the inductor atleast raise the voltage or something? The inductance says 28mH on my picture but I made a new one that is around 80mH now. But even if the inductance is off shouldn't it still have an effect on the voltage? Thanks for the help!

IMG_20150204_163247003 (2).jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you estimate the inductance of your coil? If it is way too small (and your description sounds like that), it won't have a relevant effect.

I measured it through the equation L=((the magnetic permetivity)(turns)^2(area of coil))/length of coil

What was the result?

You can also check its voltage over time with the oscilloscope. If it is small compared to the source voltage, then the coil is too small.

I can check over time. About how much time would be sufficient? And other projects had ones of only around 20mH

You have the formula to compute the required inductance in post 1. If you hit that, it should help.
Note that C is the combined capacitance from both capacitors.

If C is the capacitance of both though shouldn't my coil still work since it would be larger than needed, because a higher capacitance in the formula means a lower inductance. I calculated the capacitance as a parallel plate capacitor too and got a really high ~35H when other experiments used ~35mH

The inductor is in series with the capacitance of the transducers, and forms a series resonant circuit. With no inductor, the current in the circuit will be limited by the capacitive reactance of the transducers. With the correct inductor, the circuit will have zero reactance plus a small resistance and will allow a large current to flow. Due to the resonant action, when this happens, a magnified voltage will appear across the transducers. The coil you have made is probably inefficient due to eddy current losses in the iron.nail, and the inductive reactance must equal the combined capacitive reactance of the transducers. So you need a better inductor - maybe ferrite.

OK. That helps a lot. Thank you!

Related to Why does my inductor coil have no effect on my circuit

1. Why is my inductor coil not affecting my circuit?

There could be several reasons for this. The most common reason is that the inductor is not properly connected to the circuit. Make sure the inductor is connected in series with the rest of the components and that the connections are secure. Another reason could be that the inductor is damaged or faulty. You can test this by using a multimeter to measure the inductor's resistance.

2. Can a damaged inductor affect my circuit?

Yes, a damaged inductor can definitely affect your circuit. If the inductor is damaged, it may have a different inductance value than what is needed for your circuit. This can cause the circuit to malfunction or not work at all. It is important to check the condition of your inductor and replace it if necessary.

3. How do I calculate the inductance of my inductor coil?

The inductance of an inductor coil can be calculated by using the formula L = (μ * N^2 * A) / l, where μ is the permeability of the core material, N is the number of turns, A is the cross-sectional area of the coil, and l is the length of the coil. You can also use an inductance meter to measure the inductance of your inductor.

4. Can the position of my inductor affect its performance?

Yes, the position of an inductor can have an impact on its performance. Placing the inductor near other magnetic or electrical components can cause interference and affect its inductance. It is best to keep the inductor away from other components to ensure its optimal performance.

5. How do I choose the right inductor for my circuit?

Choosing the right inductor for your circuit depends on several factors, including the required inductance value, the current and voltage ratings of your circuit, and the frequency of operation. It is important to carefully consider these factors and select an inductor that meets the requirements of your circuit. You can also consult with a professional or refer to the datasheet of the inductor for guidance.