Why Does Higher Zp in ASHRAE 62.1-2007 Indicate Lower Ventilation Efficiency?

• Thread starter Great Smoky
  • Start date
In summary, there is an equation in this standard for a primary outdoor air fraction, which is a percentage of outside air. Table 6-3 shows that the higher the Zp value, the lower the ventilation efficiency. This means that a higher percentage of outside air results in lower efficiency in delivering ventilation to occupants. The most efficient system is one where each zone requires the same outdoor air fraction.
Great Smoky
There is an equation in this standard for a primary outdoor air fraction: Zp=Voz/Vpz (eqn 6-5) which is pretty much a percentage of outside air where Voz is the outside airflow and Vpz is the primary airflow.

But then it shows in table 6-3 in the same standard that the higher the Zp value, the lower the ventilation efficiency (Ev). I would guess that the higher Zp (percentage outside air), the higher efficiency it should be.

This is a big mystery for me. Am I seeing things or interpreting it wrong? Anybody who has experience with this standard and can help would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't have a copy of this at home (I'll check tomorrow at work to verify...), but ventilation efficiency is the efficiency at which ventilation is delivered to the occupants, not the quantity delievered. So a system with a lower ventilation efficiency requires more outside air to achieve the same effective ventilation.

So I checked the standard and my answer was sort of correct, but incomplete:

Since outside air is mixed with return air at the unit, the only way to ensure a zone with an unusually high OA need gets what it needs is to increase the OA fraction of the unit. This results in some zones being overventilated. So the most efficient system is one where each zone needs the same OA fraction.

Related to Why Does Higher Zp in ASHRAE 62.1-2007 Indicate Lower Ventilation Efficiency?

What is AHSRAE 62.1-2007 equation?

AHSRAE 62.1-2007 equation is a standard developed by the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) that provides guidelines for minimum ventilation rates and indoor air quality in commercial and institutional buildings.

What are the key components of AHSRAE 62.1-2007 equation?

The key components of AHSRAE 62.1-2007 equation include the calculation of ventilation rates based on occupancy, ventilation effectiveness, outdoor air quality, and air distribution effectiveness.

Why is AHSRAE 62.1-2007 equation important?

AHSRAE 62.1-2007 equation is important because it helps ensure that buildings have adequate ventilation to maintain good indoor air quality and protect the health and well-being of occupants.

Can AHSRAE 62.1-2007 equation be used for all types of buildings?

AHSRAE 62.1-2007 equation is primarily intended for commercial and institutional buildings, but it can also be applied to other types of buildings such as residential buildings and industrial facilities.

Is AHSRAE 62.1-2007 equation a mandatory standard?

AHSRAE 62.1-2007 equation is not a mandatory standard, but it is widely recognized and used by building codes and industry organizations as a guideline for ventilation and indoor air quality requirements.