Why Does a^(m) Belong to H in a Normal Subgroup?

• Thread starter rsa58
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, the proof for a set being a subgroup involves showing that the identity element belongs to the set and that the set is closed under inverses. For the statement about H being normal in G, the power of any element in G/H is the identity element, regardless of whether or not G/H is cyclic. This is because the order of any element in a group divides the order of the group itself.
rsa58

Homework Statement

1- Sometimes my teacher writes the proof for when a set is a subgroup by saying the following: since e(identity) belongs to G then G is not empty. He then puts if a(b^(-1)) belongs to G then the rest of the conditions are satisfied. Why is this so? is it because if a and b belong to G then we can take a=e and we have the inverse. and then a(b^(-1))^(-1) belongs to G so ab belongs to G?

2- H is normal in G. m=(G:H) show a^m belongs to H for all a belonging to G. Proof: any aH belonging to G/H has the property that (aH)^m = e. And then the rest i get. my question is why is (aH)^m = e. Should G/H be cyclic for this to be the case? I know if we have a finite group then we can say a^m =e for some m in Z+. but yeah.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to get the first one. For the second one, G/H is a group of order m. So the power m of any element of that group is the identity. aH is an element of that group, so (aH)^m=eH. (aH)^m=(a^m)H=eH. Now show a^m is an element of H and don't do it by 'cancelling' the H. For which g in G is it true that gH=H?

yeah, i know, but you didn't answer the question. obviously for any g belonging to H we have gH=H. but i don't get why any element in G/H taken to power (order G/H) is the identity element. can you prove it for me? i thought this was only for cyclic groups.

The order of any element g divides the order of G. Since the group generated by g is a subgroup of G. So |G|=k*m, where m is the order of g. Since g^m=e, g^(|G|)=e. So an element of a group taken to the power of the order of that group is e. For all groups, not just cyclic.

Related to Why Does a^(m) Belong to H in a Normal Subgroup?

1. What are "Quick questions for test tomorrow"?

"Quick questions for test tomorrow" are a set of questions that are designed to quickly test your knowledge and understanding of a particular topic before an upcoming test or exam.

2. How can "Quick questions for test tomorrow" help me prepare for a test?

These questions can help you identify any areas of the topic that you may need to review or study further, as well as gauge your overall understanding of the material.

3. Are "Quick questions for test tomorrow" effective for studying?

Yes, they can be an effective tool for studying as they allow you to test yourself and practice recalling information, which can improve your retention and understanding of the material.

4. Can I create my own "Quick questions for test tomorrow"?

Yes, you can create your own set of questions based on the material you need to study. This can be a helpful way to personalize your study session and focus on the areas that you need to improve on.

5. How many "Quick questions for test tomorrow" should I answer?

The number of questions you answer will depend on how much time you have available and how comfortable you feel with the material. It is important to not overwhelm yourself, so start with a manageable number and increase as needed.