Why does a constant force result in 0 torque in Barlow's wheel experiment?

• Thread starter NooDota
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wheel
In summary, the conversation discusses the Barlow's wheel experiment and finding the torque of forces affecting it. The person calculates the torque of the force individually and then asks why they get a result of 0 when using the equation ΣΓ = I*α. The conversation also mentions the absence of friction and the constant velocity of the wheel, leading to a discussion about the force causing the velocity and its relationship to acceleration. The solution involves considering the integral of I*B*r over the length of the wheel.
NooDota

Homework Statement

In the Barlow's wheel experiment, let's say I want to find the torque of the forces that affect it. (Friction is ignored)

I have W (weight) has no torque
R (reaction) also has no torque
F (the force that moves the wheel) does have torque

I can calculate F's torque individually.Now my question is, if I use ΣΓ = I*α, I'll get 0, because the angular acceleration is 0 since the angular velocity is constant.Why do I get 0 when I do have torque?
Thanks

Homework Equations

ΣΓ = I*α

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Without friction, the wheel is constantly accelerating (unless your current breaks down at some unrealistic speed).

But alpha in this case is 0 because the velocity is constant, no?

Why do you expect the velocity to be constant in the absence of friction?

Because the force that's causing the velocity is constant? Neither the current, the radius or the magnetic field are changing.

Which force?
Without friction, you have an accelerating force (more precise: torque), so the wheel keeps accelerating.

I don't know what you call it in English. The F = I*L∧B force.

It's what's moving the wheel, and it's constant, and so the angular velocity is constant and the acceleration is 0, since the velocity isn't changing.

NooDota said:
It's what's moving the wheel, and it's constant, and so the angular velocity is constant and the acceleration is 0, since the velocity isn't changing.
No, a constant force leads to a constant acceleration.

What you actually need is the integral ##\int_0^L I B r dr## for the torque, but that follows the same rules.

Related to Why does a constant force result in 0 torque in Barlow's wheel experiment?

1. What is Barlow's wheel?

Barlow's wheel, also known as Faraday's wheel, is an early scientific experiment designed by British scientist William Barlow in the 19th century. It consists of a conducting wheel with a metal axle, which is connected to a battery and two brushes that touch the wheel. When electricity is passed through the wheel, it starts to rotate due to the interaction between the current and the magnetic field.

2. How does Barlow's wheel work?

Barlow's wheel works based on the principle of electromagnetic induction. When current from the battery is passed through the conducting wheel, it creates a magnetic field around the wheel. This magnetic field interacts with the magnetic field created by the current passing through the brushes, causing the wheel to rotate.

3. What is the purpose of Barlow's wheel experiment?

The purpose of Barlow's wheel experiment was to demonstrate the relationship between electricity and magnetism. It was one of the early experiments that led to the development of electromagnetic theory and its applications in technology.

4. What are the applications of Barlow's wheel?

Barlow's wheel experiment is primarily used for educational purposes in schools and universities to demonstrate the principles of electromagnetism. It also has some practical applications, such as in electric generators and motors, where the rotation of the wheel is used to generate electricity or to produce mechanical motion.

5. Are there any variations of Barlow's wheel experiment?

Yes, there are many variations of Barlow's wheel experiment designed by different scientists. Some variations use different materials, such as aluminum or copper, for the wheel, while others use different power sources, such as solar panels or hand-cranked generators. These variations allow for a better understanding of the principles of electromagnetism and their applications.