Why do profs sometimes not answer the question?

• MHB
  • Thread starter find_the_fun
  • Start date
In summary, sometimes professors do not answer the right question and instead go off on a tangent. This could be because it's a bad question, they don't understand it, it would mess up their lesson plan, they don't know the answer, or they want students to look it up themselves. In this situation, it's best to repeat the question to the professor and ask for clarification. Other conversations show individuals responding with another question or not realizing their actions.
find_the_fun
Sometimes profs don't answer the right question. In class we were looking at parts of a cable and I asked which part was the sheath and he said "well when we pass this around you can actually see the different parts" and went off on a tangent. Do they this because:
  1. It's a bad question
  2. They don't understand the question
  3. It would mess up their lesson plan
  4. They don't know
  5. They want students to look it up themselves

What should I do? Should I repeat the question?

Science news on Phys.org
Repeating the question is a good way to go in this case, make it clear that you still haven't gotten your answer. "Excuse me professor, could you please show it to me then? If I don't know which one it is, I won't be able to recognize its difference from the others."

How to Answer Questions and Alienate Everyone"Why are you scratching yourself?"
"Because I'm the only one who knows where I itch.""Fire Department? .My house in on fire! .Good-bye!"
"Wait! .How do we get to your house?"
"Um . . . in a big red truck?""My wife is having a baby! .What should I do?"
"How far apart are the contractions?"
"Well, they seem to be coming from the same place."Man to piano player: "Do you know your fly is open?"
"No, but if you hum a few bars, Ill fake it.""Do you know that you always answer a question with another question?"
"Do I really?"​

Last edited:

Related to Why do profs sometimes not answer the question?

1. Why do professors sometimes not answer the question?

There could be several reasons why professors may not answer a question directly. One reason could be that they want to encourage critical thinking and discussion among students, rather than simply giving a direct answer. Another reason could be that the question may have already been covered in class or in the course materials, and the professor wants to avoid repeating information. Additionally, professors may not have all the answers and may need to do further research before providing a response.

2. Does it mean the professor doesn't know the answer?

Not necessarily. As mentioned before, professors may need to do further research or may want to encourage critical thinking among students. However, if a professor consistently avoids answering questions or seems unsure of the material, it may be a cause for concern and students should address this with the professor or a academic advisor.

3. How can I get my professor to answer my question?

The best way to get your professor to answer your question is to approach them after class or during their office hours. This allows for a one-on-one conversation where you can provide more context and clarification for your question. Additionally, try to ask specific and thoughtful questions rather than general ones.

4. Is it rude to keep asking my professor to answer a question?

It is not necessarily rude, but it is important to be respectful of your professor's time. If you have already asked the same question multiple times and are still not receiving a direct answer, it may be best to seek clarification from other sources such as classmates, tutors, or online resources.

5. Can I challenge my professor if I think they are not answering my question on purpose?

It is always important to communicate with your professor in a respectful manner. If you feel that your professor is intentionally not answering your question, you can politely ask for clarification or discuss your concerns with them. However, it is ultimately up to the professor to decide how they want to approach answering questions in their class.