Why do professors have to teach?

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Professors
In summary: in summary, professors generally get paid for their research and teaching, but sometimes they have to work extra hard to make it up to their students.
flyingpig
I've always wondered about this. Do professors actually get paid for doing research or teaching?

Is teaching actually a side job for them?

Science news on Phys.org
This is highly varying from country to country, from institution to institution and relative to areas of research.

But, generally, I think that the percentage of time a professor should teach is a negotiable factor in the hiring process, dependent on the needs of the institution for instructors and expectation of the candidate's ability to generate top-notch research.

What if they hate mornings? Can they actually refuse to teach a morning class? My 1st yr chem professor complained about her morning everyday...I suppose not?

flyingpig said:
What if they hate mornings? Can they actually refuse to teach a morning class? My 1st yr chem professor complained about her morning everyday...I suppose not?

I suppose they can always reschedule the class...

flyingpig said:
Do professors actually get paid for doing research or teaching? Is teaching actually a side job for them?

Depends on the institution. At the small college where I teach, classroom teaching is the main job for all professors, and research is a sideline. It's an important sideline, but mainly as a way to provide research opportunities for students.

In most departments here, the department chairman (or someone delegated by him) draws up a preliminary class schedule, and then the other department members can suggest changes, trade classes or rooms, etc. In my department, everybody gets a more or less satisfactory schedule most of the time.

flyingpig said:
What if they hate mornings?

The answer to this is the same as in every other profession: tough ****

cristo said:
The answer to this is the same as in every other profession: tough ****

At my university, it seems like the more senior professors get some say in when they teach, while the junior professors get stuck with whatever is left.

flyingpig said:
I've always wondered about this. Do professors actually get paid for doing research or teaching?

Is teaching actually a side job for them?

They get paid for attracting students (and tuition money) and for attracting research grants. Just attending school on the same campus as a famous researcher is worth something prestige-wise, but most want some actual exposure to the more famous professors before they'll actually fork out significantly higher tuition.

(Most students would be better off going to a cheaper school that actually focuses on teaching for their bachelor's degree and then go to the school with the best professors/researchers for their graduate degrees - if the undergraduate degree itself wasn't often part of the criteria for accepted into graduate school.)

As always, PhDComics has some insight:
phd082508s.gif

I never taught college. What I taught we had to be ready to teach at any time, in addition to scheduled classes, and without complaint. People's lives depended on it.

I wonder if the prof who complained about her morning class ever had to factor that one in.

"Those who can, do; those who can't, teach."

(I've taught students from nursery school to college level.)

flyingpig said:

Who doesn't hate mornings? If I had my way, liking mornings would result in psychiatric examination before being allowed to work.

Oh and liking morning would immediately make you fail the test.

Mondays are even worse, flappers.

Pengwuino said:
Who doesn't hate mornings? If I had my way, liking mornings would result in psychiatric examination before being allowed to work.

I like mornings. Typically, I go to bed around 11 pm and get up around 6 or 6:30 am, even on weekends. I once taught a course that had classes that started at 8 am. (Not scheduled by me.)

George Jones said:
I like mornings. Typically, I go to bed around 11 pm and get up around 6 or 6:30 am, even on weekends. I once taught a course that had classes that started at 8 am. (Not scheduled by me.)

Wow 6:00am! You are like my grandmother!

Pengwuino said:

I love mornings!

And I love sharing the joy of mornings with others! Anyone staying in my house wakes up to the sound of my electric coffee grinder at 5:00 AM in the morning. And the neighbors wake up to the sound of my dogs growling and barking at the neighbor's dogs through the holes in our fence. Everyone knows I love mornings!

And the best things is other morning people don't mind the noise I make in the morning. And as far as all the night people go - they're too groggy in the morning to shoot anyone, anyway.

I'm kind of wondering where this question came from. It would be pretty hard to have a university or college without classes and students, so why is it surprising that someone would have to teach those classes of students?

As quoted from A Beautiful Mind: "Come on, you know the drill. You get these beautiful facilities and MIT gets America’s great minds of today teaching America’s great minds of tomorrow."

Can u actually get fired if you don't teach? can a professor even get fired?

Related to Why do professors have to teach?

1. Why do professors have to teach?

Professors have to teach because it is one of their main responsibilities as educators. They are hired by universities to share their knowledge and expertise with students and to facilitate their learning and development. Teaching is also an important way for professors to stay current in their field and to contribute to the academic community.

2. Is teaching a requirement for professors?

Yes, teaching is a requirement for professors. It is a key component of their job and is typically outlined in their employment contract. Professors are expected to teach courses, mentor students, and participate in other educational activities as part of their role at the university.

3. Can professors choose not to teach?

No, professors cannot choose not to teach. While they may have some flexibility in terms of their course load and teaching schedule, teaching is an essential part of their job and they are expected to fulfill their teaching responsibilities. Refusing to teach could result in disciplinary action or even termination of employment.

4. Why do professors have to teach if they are experts in their field?

Despite their expertise in a particular subject, professors are still responsible for teaching because they have a unique ability to communicate complex ideas and theories to students. Teaching also allows professors to apply their knowledge in a practical and meaningful way, and to inspire future generations of scholars and professionals.

5. Do all professors enjoy teaching?

No, not all professors enjoy teaching. Some may prefer conducting research or engaging in other academic activities. However, teaching is an important part of their job and even if they do not particularly enjoy it, they are expected to fulfill their teaching responsibilities to the best of their abilities.