Why do grad schools want to know where else you apply?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of why some graduate school applications ask for information about other schools the applicant is applying to. It is suggested that this information may be used to gauge competition and potentially impact admission decisions. Some also question the professionalism of this practice and its validity in determining admission requirements.
Elante
I'm applying to Ph.D and M.S. programs in medical physics this year, and I've noticed on some applications there is an option to fill in what other graduate schools I am applying to. Why do grad schools want this information? Would it increase my chances if I provide that information? Could it hurt my chances if I do not? Any insight would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
They want to know who they are competing against. You could just leave it blank or you might improve your chances by listing some high end schools. Personally I think it's un-proffesional for a university

When I was a applying for undergrad he place I went would give you a 50% lower entry requirement if you were also applying to the other college across town. It makes a slight mockery of the idea that you need a certain grade because of the difficulty of the course.

There's a spot on the application to list other schools? That seems weird, since none of my applications had anything like this. Once when I was visiting a school, one of the professors informally asked me where else I was applying, but that's the most I ever had to divulge. I don't know what goes on in admissions committee meetings, but I seriously doubt it matters all that much what you put in this section.

Related to Why do grad schools want to know where else you apply?

1. Why do grad schools want to know where else you apply?

There are a few reasons why grad schools may ask about your other applications. One reason is to gauge your level of interest in their program. If you have applied to multiple schools, it shows that you are serious about pursuing a graduate degree. Additionally, knowing where else you have applied can give the admissions committee a better understanding of your qualifications and how you compare to other applicants.

2. Will my chances of acceptance be affected by disclosing where else I applied?

No, disclosing where else you have applied will not impact your chances of acceptance. Admissions decisions are based on your individual application and qualifications, not on the other schools you have applied to. In fact, some schools may view it positively if you have applied to a diverse range of programs.

3. Is it required to disclose where else I have applied?

It is not required to disclose where else you have applied, but it is generally recommended to do so. Providing this information can show that you are transparent and honest, which are desirable qualities in a graduate student. However, if you are uncomfortable disclosing this information, you can choose to leave it blank or simply state that you prefer not to disclose.

4. Can I use my other applications as leverage for scholarship or financial aid negotiations?

In most cases, disclosing your other applications will not affect your chances of receiving scholarship or financial aid. These decisions are typically based on your individual qualifications and financial need. However, some schools may consider your other offers as part of their negotiation process, so it is worth mentioning if you have received a significant offer from another program.

5. How should I approach disclosing my other applications?

When disclosing your other applications, it is important to be honest and provide accurate information. You can list the schools you have applied to in your application or mention them in your personal statement. If you have been accepted to another program, you can also mention this in your application. However, avoid using this information to boast or as a way to pressure the admissions committee.