Why Do Different Objects Make Different Sounds When Dropped?

In summary, In summary, if you drop a coin and a piece of wood on the floor, the coin makes a sound because it makes more noise than the wood.
lRainDropsl
Why do two objects when dropped on the floor make different sounds? (i.e, coin and piece of wood)

What's a system? and please give me an example of it demonstrating Newton's First Law of Motion.

How do I calculate the speed of an object that demonstates linear motion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sound is an audible vibration. Different mediums vibrate at different frequencies, and each of these frequencies you hear as different sounds. Theres a lot of details as to why a medium vibrates at a certain frequency but I'm guessing you don't need to know why.

A system is a compilation of any objects involved in an interaction. A ball is sitting on the ground, it is in equilibrium because there is no net force on the ball. When an outside force (you) kick the ball, the ball is no longer in equilibrium and now has a force acted upon it. The ball is then slowed down by air resistance and friction, as well as any objects it my hit in flight. If you consider all these as a system, then the total amount of energy in that system remains constant throughout.

Speed or velocity:

[tex] Velocity = \frac{\Delta Distance}{\Delta Time} [/tex]

For an instantaneous velocity the equation is:

[tex] Velocity = \frac{dx(t)}{dt}. [/tex] where x(t) is the position function. Thsi is derived using calculus.

or you could form a graph to find instantaneous velocity if you find trouble using calculas...

You would use calculus to find instantaneous velocity no matter which way you do it :)

umm..im sorry to say this to you, but NO, we don't need calculas to find the instantaneous velocity. Theres no need to confuse the kid mate.

Give me an applicable method to find instantaneous velocity without using calculus

slope of a tangent of a d-t graph

d-t graphs arent always linear. you would model the data to a function, derive that function, evaluate at a point to obtain the slope (velocity).

even when they are linear, its just a case when the calculus is simple enough to be done with no work

even on a curve .. it can still be done. this is grade 11 physics .. draw a straight line touching only the point where you want the velocity and find that slope.

http://www.bfafairfax.com/~pfeiffer/Physics/KInematics/uniformmotion.html
under "Analysis of Graphs" an example of a tangent whose slope you would find

Last edited by a moderator:
drawing a tangent simplifies the first sentence of my first post

finding the velocity from the slope of that tangent line is what the second line was addressing

I'm just trying to point out that you do not need calculus to figure it out

We're both right. Just arguing different points of the same thing. Your claim is an instance of mine.

Then you must mean "calculus" in an extremely general sense- you seem to be claiming that any time you find the slope of a tangent line, you are using calculus.
I would not use the word in that way: certainly Fermat and DeCartes were finding slopes of tangent lines long before Newton and Leibniz developed the calculus.

Here's how I found speed in high school physics BEFORE I learned Calculus:
Draw the "position vs time" graph. Hold a mirror on the graph at the point in question and slowly turn it until the reflection of the graph in the mirror appears to line up with the actual graph. Draw a line along the base of the mirror. That line is perpendicular to the tangent line and you can use "compass and straight edge" to find the perpendicular to it (i.e. find the tangent line) or just repeat the mirror process with the perpendicular line. Once you have the tangent line, choose two points on it and use "rise over run" to find its slope (and that is NOT using calculus).

Related to Why Do Different Objects Make Different Sounds When Dropped?

1. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed and velocity are often used interchangeably in everyday language, but in physics they have distinct meanings. Speed is the rate at which an object covers distance, while velocity is the rate at which an object covers distance in a specific direction. This means that an object can have a high speed, but if it changes direction, its velocity will also change.

2. How does gravity affect the motion of objects?

Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards each other. This force affects the motion of objects by causing them to accelerate towards the center of the Earth. The strength of this acceleration is determined by the mass of the object and the distance between the objects.

3. What is the equation for calculating kinetic energy?

The equation for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is its velocity. This equation shows that kinetic energy is directly proportional to both mass and velocity, meaning that an object with a greater mass or velocity will have a higher kinetic energy.

4. How does friction affect the motion of objects?

Friction is a force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, making it harder for the object to move. This force is caused by the roughness of surfaces and is affected by factors such as weight, surface area, and the type of surface. Friction can slow down or stop an object's motion, and it also plays a role in the generation of heat.

5. What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This means that an object will not change its state of motion unless a force is applied to it. This law is a fundamental principle in understanding the behavior of objects in motion.