Why Do Different Calculations of a Probability Problem Yield Different Results?

• MHB
  • Thread starter schinb65
  • Start date
In summary, the probability that a person chosen at random owns an automobile or a house, but not both, is 50%. This can be calculated using a Venn Diagram or the formula \(P[A\cup B]=P[A]+P[B]-P[A \cap B]\).
schinb65
A marketing survey indicates that 60% of the population owns
an automobile, 30% owns a house, and 20% owns both an automobile and a house.
Calculate the probability that a person chosen at random owns an automobile or a house, but not
both.

I am Told that the answer is .5, I did this problem 2 different ways and I received different answers, and .5 is one of the answers.

If I draw a Venn Diagram I receive .5 and that makes sense.
I also tried this, \(P[A\cup B]=P[A]+P-P[A \cap B]\),
I assume that I have something incorrect in the formula since I do not get the right answer. Would I be able to use this formula?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Welcome to MHB, schinb65!

schinb65 said:
A marketing survey indicates that 60% of the population owns
an automobile, 30% owns a house, and 20% owns both an automobile and a house.
Calculate the probability that a person chosen at random owns an automobile or a house, but not
both.

I am Told that the answer is .5, I did this problem 2 different ways and I received different answers, and .5 is one of the answers.

If I draw a Venn Diagram I receive .5 and that makes sense.
I also tried this, \(P[A\cup B]=P[A]+P-P[A \cap B]\),
I assume that I have something incorrect in the formula since I do not get the right answer. Would I be able to use this formula?

A Venn Diagram is best. ;)

But yes, you can also use that formula.
\begin{aligned}
P[\text{A or B but not both}] &= P[A\cup B]-P[A \cap B] \\
&=\big(P[A]+P-P[A \cap B]\big)-P[A \cap B] \\
&=P[A]+P-2P[A \cap B] \\
&=60\%+30\%-2\times 20\% \\
&=50\% \\
\end{aligned}

Related to Why Do Different Calculations of a Probability Problem Yield Different Results?

1. Why do I need to subtract .2 twice?

Subtracting .2 twice is used when you need to remove a decimal value from a number twice. This can be helpful in certain mathematical calculations or when trying to convert between units.

2. Can I just subtract .4 instead of .2 twice?

No, subtracting .4 instead of .2 twice will result in a different number. When subtracting twice, it is important to subtract the same value each time in order to maintain accuracy.

3. Is it always necessary to subtract .2 twice?

No, subtracting .2 twice is only necessary in specific situations where removing a decimal value twice is needed. In other cases, it may not be relevant or necessary to subtract .2 twice.

4. Why is it important to subtract .2 twice in scientific calculations?

In scientific calculations, accuracy is crucial. Subtracting .2 twice ensures that any decimal values are properly accounted for and can lead to more precise results.

5. What is the purpose of subtracting .2 twice in chemistry experiments?

In chemistry experiments, subtracting .2 twice may be used to convert between units or to accurately measure a substance. It can also be used to remove any decimal values in calculations to prevent errors.