Why Are Some Problems Starred in Spivak's Calculus?

In summary, the speaker expresses gratitude for the help received on a forum and apologizes for not registering earlier. They mention using the 4th edition of Spivak calculus and struggling to find solutions for certain problems marked with a *. The solution guide directs them to another chapter, but they are unsure if these problems are found throughout other chapters or just marked for emphasis. They also mention not having the book and ask for clarification. The speaker then adds that the book does not have these markings and directs the person to the preface for more information on the *'d problems.
dgm5028
I've found a lot of help on this forum for awhile but just registered. I'd like to retroactively say thanks for a lot of help the past few semesters.

Im using the 4th edition of spivak calculus. I tried looking for what the solutions to *'ed problems but could not find anything. I have the answer book as well but was directed to another spot. For example in ch.1 : 21,22,23 have * next to them, the book itself does not have these and the solution guide says to see ch.5.

Are these located throughout other chapters or just *'d to add emphasis?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dgm5028 said:
I've found a lot of help on this forum for awhile but just registered. I'd like to retroactively say thanks for a lot of help the past few semesters.

Im using the 4th edition of spivak calculus. I tried looking for what the solutions to *'ed problems but could not find anything. I have the answer book as well but was directed to another spot. For example in ch.1 : 21,22,23 have * next to them, the book itself does not have these and the solution guide says to see ch.5.

I don't have Spivak, but then your post doesn't have a question so I guess it doesn't matter. Welcome to PF.

Thank you, edited.

dgm5028 said:
Are these located throughout other chapters or just *'d to add emphasis?

Look in the preface. It will probably tell you about the starred problems.

Related to Why Are Some Problems Starred in Spivak's Calculus?

1. What is "Spivak calculus notation"?

"Spivak calculus notation" refers to the mathematical notation developed by mathematician and author Michael Spivak in his textbook "Calculus". It is a concise and rigorous way of representing mathematical concepts and ideas in the field of calculus.

2. Why is "Spivak calculus notation" considered important?

"Spivak calculus notation" is considered important because it offers a clear, consistent, and precise way of communicating mathematical ideas and solving problems in calculus. It also helps to develop a deeper understanding of the subject and facilitates advanced mathematical reasoning.

3. How does "Spivak calculus notation" differ from other notations?

"Spivak calculus notation" differs from other notations in that it is more formal and concise. It uses fewer symbols and is based on a few fundamental concepts, making it easier to learn and use. It also emphasizes the geometric interpretations of calculus concepts.

4. Is it necessary to learn "Spivak calculus notation" in order to understand calculus?

No, it is not necessary to learn "Spivak calculus notation" in order to understand calculus. Many other notations exist and are commonly used in calculus. However, learning "Spivak calculus notation" can help to improve mathematical understanding and problem-solving skills.

5. Are there any resources available for learning "Spivak calculus notation"?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning "Spivak calculus notation". The textbook "Calculus" by Michael Spivak is a comprehensive resource, but there are also online tutorials, videos, and practice problems available. It is also helpful to work through problems and examples using the notation to gain familiarity and proficiency.