Which IDE is best for a college student learning multiple programming languages?

• Thread starter Akshay_Anti
  • Start date
In summary: Netbeans does not have a debugger, but it does provide syntax highlighting and code completion. Unfortunately, it is not as user-friendly as Visual Studio.
Akshay_Anti
Hello, I am a college gong student and thus will be taught about new programing languages like C/C++, Java, HTML, etc. I am using dev cpp as IDE at the moment. However, I am not comfortable with the same and want to switch. A senior of mine suggested me using Netbeans, another Visual Studio and yet another Eclipse. I am confused. Which one shall i use that is user friendly and encompasses quite many languages in itself?

Thanks in advance

Technology news on Phys.org
I think it's wise not to get too attached to any particular IDE. During my time at uni, I needed to use Eclipse, Netbeans and Visual Studio at different times because of language / plugin requirements. They're all nice enough, but each one takes quite a bit of getting used to. I'm using Netbeans at the moment for Java EE development.

Most of the time I like to use a nice text editor like Sublime Text, but Java EE is quite painful without an IDE to hold it together, at least for a novice like me.

Note: I don't think Visual Studio supports Java (or any, non-MS related languages really). Eclipse and Netbeans both support a very wide range of languages.

I will not provide advice for Java and HTML.

For C/C++ it is crucial that the IDE provides syntax highlighting and support for operating the build tools and the debugger efficiently.

Custom indentation and interactive completion is also nice to have - e.g. sometimes you know a certain class functionality quite well but wonder what the correct sequence of arguments for the c'tor is, and having a choice list popping up at your cursor is an asset then.

If memory serves me correctly, I used TextPad for a Java course a couple of years ago. I think you can link gcc into it also to be able to edit and compile c++ codes along with java etc... No ide per say, but not a bad alternative and itr forces you to think about how libraries are combined and linked.

Visual Studio is HUGELY user-friendly, VERY extensive and configurable and everything you could wish for in an IDE ... BUT it has a big down-side which is that it is Microsoft specific.

Note that visual studio c++ express is free. Creating a new project is a bit awkward. What I do is create an empty directory, then copy my source file(s) to that directory. Next I run vs c++ and choose create project, using the directory name as the project name (this will also be the default program (.exe) name). Be sure to click on "next", and click on the "empty project" check box or else vs will generate some default code for you.

Then if I don't wan't unicode, I right click on the project name in vs c++, properties, configuration properties, select "all configurations", then click on "general", "character set" and change it to "not set" (default is "unicode").

Next I click on project on the top menu, then "add existing item", and click on my source file(s). I then click on a source file(s) in the procect list to show / edit / source level debug, and then click on file and save all.

At this point it's fairly straight forward. You can toggle between debug or release mode at the top menu, and use alt-B then E to compile your code.

phinds said:
Visual Studio is HUGELY user-friendly, VERY extensive and configurable and everything you could wish for in an IDE ... BUT it has a big down-side which is that it is Microsoft specific.
Do the current VS versions support CMake-im/export?
I would consider that a prime criterion for estimating interoperability.

Related to Which IDE is best for a college student learning multiple programming languages?

1. What is an IDE and why do I need one?

An IDE, or Integrated Development Environment, is a software application that provides a comprehensive set of tools for developers to write, debug, and deploy their code. It includes features such as code editors, compilers, and debuggers, making it easier for developers to write and manage their code efficiently. IDEs are essential for software development as they increase productivity and streamline the development process.

2. How do I choose the right IDE for my project?

Choosing the right IDE depends on your project and personal preferences. Consider factors such as language support, ease of use, and available features. It's also helpful to try out different IDEs and see which one best fits your needs.

3. Are there any free IDE options available?

Yes, there are many free IDE options available, such as Visual Studio Code, Eclipse, and NetBeans. These IDEs offer a wide range of features and support for various languages, making them suitable for different projects.

4. Can I use multiple IDEs for different languages?

Yes, you can use multiple IDEs for different languages. In fact, it's common for developers to use different IDEs for different projects or languages, depending on their needs and preferences. However, some IDEs, like Visual Studio, offer support for multiple languages, making it possible to use one IDE for all your projects.

5. Do I need to be an expert to use an IDE?

No, you don't need to be an expert to use an IDE. While some IDEs may have a steeper learning curve, most offer user-friendly interfaces and tutorials to help you get started. With a little practice, anyone can learn to use an IDE effectively and improve their development skills.