Which Derivative Rule for Inverse Trigonometric Functions Should I Use?

• Thread starter Euler2718
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary: I suspect that this is why the handout's formula includes the absolute value. In summary, when finding the derivative of an inverse trigonometric function, there are different variations of the derivative rules depending on the source. The rule from the handout is more general and can handle angles in the second quadrant, while the book's approach is simpler but may not work for negative values of x. It is important to understand when to apply the chain rule in general when using the book's formula.
Euler2718

Homework Statement

Finding the derivative of an inverse trigonometric function

Homework Equations

[/B]
*This is the problem*

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
In my textbook, Single Variable Essential Calculus, Second Edition, by James Stewart, the derivative rules for the inverse trigonometric functions are causing me great pain, as it seems there are different variations depending on where you look. For instances, take the derivative rule for arc-secant...

[tex] \frac{d}{dx} [arcsec(x)] = \frac{1}{x\sqrt{x^{2}-1}} [/tex]

This differs from a hand out that I obtained that claims the rule is...

[tex] \frac{d}{dx} [arcsec(u)] = \frac{1}{|u|\sqrt{u^{2}-1}}\frac{du}{dx} , |u|>1 [/tex]My question is which one should I be using? Does the absolute sign make a difference? I was working on finding the tangent to

[tex] y=arcsec(4x), x=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{4} [/tex]

and when I got the derivative using the hand out rule...

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{1}{|x|\sqrt{16x^{2}-1}} [/tex]

The book yields the exact same thing, but in less steps, as you don't have to take ' du/dx '

So, is it more appropriate to write it in terms of a kind of u-substitution with the absolutes, or just in terms of 'x' with no absolutes?
Thank you for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
The rule from the handout, I believe, is more general, in that it handles angles in the second quadrant (i.e., ##\pi/2 < x < \pi##). The principal domain for the arcsec function is ##[0, \pi/2) \cup (\pi/2, \pi]##.

Likes Euler2718
Mark44 said:
The rule from the handout, I believe, is more general, in that it handles angles in the second quadrant (i.e., ##\pi/2 < x < \pi##). The principal domain for the arcsec function is ##[0, \pi/2) \cup (\pi/2, \pi]##.

So it would be safer to stick with the general case I suppose. Thanks for your help.

Morgan Chafe said:
The book yields the exact same thing, but in less steps, as you don't have to take ' du/dx '

So, is it more appropriate to write it in terms of a kind of u-substitution with the absolutes, or just in terms of 'x' with no absolutes?
The handout's formula include an application of the chain rule. If you use the book's formula, you have to recognize the need to apply the chain rule. Either way, you're essentially doing the same thing. Personally, I prefer the book's approach since you need to know when to apply the chain rule in general anyway, and including it in the formula just clutters things up.

That said, the book's formula isn't really correct since it doesn't work for negative values of ##x##. If you look at a plot of arcsec x, you'll see that the derivative is positive for every point in its domain. The book's formula, however, will give you a negative answer for x<-1.

Likes Euler2718

Related to Which Derivative Rule for Inverse Trigonometric Functions Should I Use?

1. What is the derivative rule issue?

The derivative rule issue refers to the challenge of finding the derivative of a function at a specific point. It involves understanding and applying the various derivative rules, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule.

2. Why is the derivative rule issue important?

The derivative rule issue is important because derivatives are crucial in many areas of science and mathematics, including physics, engineering, and economics. They allow us to find rates of change, optimize functions, and solve differential equations.

3. What are the common derivative rules?

Some common derivative rules include the power rule, which states that the derivative of x^n is nx^(n-1); the product rule, which states that the derivative of f(x)g(x) is f'(x)g(x) + f(x)g'(x); and the chain rule, which states that the derivative of f(g(x)) is f'(g(x))g'(x).

4. How can I remember the derivative rules?

One way to remember the derivative rules is to practice using them frequently and to understand the logic behind each rule. Some people find mnemonic devices helpful, such as "Low D High minus High D Low over Low squared" for the quotient rule.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving derivative rule issues?

The best way to improve your skills in solving derivative rule issues is to practice regularly and seek help from resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. It is also important to have a solid understanding of algebra and basic calculus concepts. Seeking guidance from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial.