Where is the error in this proof?

In summary: So in your case the assumption holds and the conclusion follows.In summary, the statement "If a subset (call it B) of a partially ordered (by a relation R) set A has exactly one minimal element, must that element be a smallest element?" is logically expressed as "(∃b)((∀x)((x,b) ∈ R → x = b) ∧ (∀y)((∀z)((z,y) ∈ R → z = y) → b = y)." In this statement, the assumption is that there exists a smallest element in B, and based on this assumption, the conclusion is that b = y. There is a counterexample to
Syrus

Homework Statement

If a subset (call it B) of a partially ordered (by a relation R) set A has exactly one minimal element, must that element be a smallest element? Give proof or counterexample.

Homework Equations

Well, our given, "exactly one minimal element" in PC (pred calc.) translates to:

(∃b)((∀x)((x,b) ∈ R → x = b) ∧ (∀y)((∀z)((z,y) ∈ R → b = y))

i hope...

The Attempt at a Solution

Call b the unique minimal element of B and let k ∈ B. Since (k,k) ∈ R, then using our assumption (∀y)((∀z)((z,y) ∈ R → b = y), b = k. Thus, (b,k) ∈ R.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You made an error in the translation (and you forgot a ")" at the end).
Take for example the natural numbers (for which of course b=0), then the second part of your statement says if we have two numbers such that [itex]z \leq y[/itex] then y=0.
Or am I making a mistake?

I see I did make an error. I basically used the definition of Existence and uniqueness and plugged in the definition of minimal element to come up with the above statement. Would this, then, be the correct translation of the statement?

(∃b)((∀x)((x,b) ∈ R → x = b) ∧ (∀y)((∀z)((z,y) ∈ R → z = y) → b = y)

And if so, it would seem my same "proof" above still holds. Any other suggestions/insight?
My "proof" would now be:
Call b the unique minimal element of B and let k ∈ B. Since (k,k) ∈ R, and (clearly) thus k = k, using our assumption (∀y)((∀z)((z,y) ∈ R → b = y), b = k. Thus, (b,k) ∈ R.

By the way, there is a counterexample to this "theorem", but i am just trying to figure out where I went wrong in an attempt to prove it.

Last edited:
"using our assumption (∀y)((∀z)((z,y) ∈ R → b = y), b = k"

Can you explain this? What is the assumption there? What is the conclusion there? It's not making sense for me

Well, to "prove" the statement, we use the antecedent of the implication to be proven, "If a subset (call it B) of a partially ordered (by a relation R) set A has exactly one minimal element," as a given. This statement may be logically expressed as (∃b)((∀x)((x,b) ∈ R → x = b) ∧ (∀y)((∀z)((z,y) ∈ R → z = y) → b = y). Thus, we assume there is some b ∈ B such that (∀x)((x,b) ∈ R → x = b) and (∀y)((∀z)((z,y) ∈ R → z = y) → b = y).

Now, our goal is (∀x)((b,x) ∈ R).

As a result, let x ∈ B. Since (x,x) ∈ R (which is true since R is a partial order) implies x = x (which is true anyways), then using the second conjunct of the given above (which is what is referred to earlier when I stated "using our assumption..." above) we may conclude b = x, so (b,x) ∈ R

Last edited:
mr. vodka said:
"using our assumption (∀y)((∀z)((z,y) ∈ R → b = y), b = k"

Also, note i edited my first post, your quote above should be changed to (∀y)((∀z)((z,y) ∈ R → z = y) → b = k)

"Also, note i edited my first post, your quote above should be changed to..."

You didn't though :p

Anyway: it's not clear to me how you apply "(∀y)((∀z)((z,y) ∈ R → z = y) → b = k)"
What variable is representing your x?

mr. vodka said:
You didn't though :p

Sorry, heh heh, guess i meant my following post. It's not letting me edit the original one.

mr. vodka said:
Anyway: it's not clear to me how you apply "(∀y)((∀z)((z,y) ∈ R → z = y) → b = k)"
What variable is representing your x?

I mistyped a letter above, it should be "(∀y)((∀z)((z,y) ∈ R → z = y) → b = y)

I am letting the arbitrary x introduced be used for both z and y.

Last edited:
Well, i am letting x be y and z.
You're misreading what "(∀y)((∀z)((z,y) ∈ R → z = y) → b = y)" means.

It says that (given a certain y) IF "(∀z)((z,y) ∈ R → z = y)" THEN "b = y"
Is the IF part true in your case?

Let me be more exact: in your case y = x, okay, now you have to check that "(∀z)((z,x) ∈ R → z = x)"
but you have only verified this for the trivial case of z = x

Aha!

Related to Where is the error in this proof?

1. What is the process for identifying errors in a proof?

The first step in identifying errors in a proof is to carefully read through the entire proof and make sure that each step is logically sound. Then, check each step for any potential errors in reasoning, such as using incorrect definitions or making unsupported assumptions. It is also important to check for any mathematical errors, such as incorrect calculations or missing steps. Finally, it can be helpful to have someone else review the proof to catch any errors that may have been missed.

2. How can I tell if there is an error in a proof?

One way to tell if there is an error in a proof is to look for any inconsistencies or contradictions. If a step in the proof seems to contradict a previous step or a known mathematical fact, there may be an error. Additionally, if a proof seems too simple or relies heavily on assumptions without sufficient justification, there may be an error in the reasoning.

3. What are some common types of errors in mathematical proofs?

Some common types of errors in mathematical proofs include using incorrect definitions or axioms, making faulty assumptions, using incorrect mathematical operations or equations, and making logical fallacies. Other errors can include typos or calculation mistakes, as well as incomplete or missing steps in the proof.

4. Can a proof have more than one error?

Yes, a proof can have multiple errors. In fact, it is not uncommon for a proof to have several errors that build upon each other, making it difficult to identify all of them at once. This is why it is important to thoroughly check every step and have multiple people review the proof for potential errors.

5. How can I avoid making errors in my own proofs?

One way to avoid making errors in proofs is to carefully check each step for logical soundness and mathematical accuracy. It can also be helpful to take breaks and come back to the proof with a fresh perspective, as this can make it easier to spot any mistakes. Additionally, seeking feedback and having others review your proof can help catch any errors that may have been overlooked.