Where Can I Find Affordable Fortran Compilers for Scientific Computing?

• Fortran
  • Thread starter Ingenium5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fortran
In summary, the individual is looking to learn coding in Fortran 77 or 99 for a scientific computing course. They asked for suggestions on where to obtain a compiler for free or at a low cost, specifically for Windows. The conversation recommends Simply Fortran for a fee or provides links for free options such as Intel and G95.
Ingenium5
Hello all,

I need to learn to code in fortran 77 preferably or fortran 99 if 77 isn't available easily for a scientific computing course this fall. Does anyone know where I can obtain one of these compliers for somewhere between free and a few hundred dollars?

Technology news on Phys.org
If you are working on Linux, the answer is pretty trivial; in fact, you probably would not have even asked it...

...so, I presume you are working on Windows.

There are choices...for you and since it sounds that you are willing to pay money, I would suggest Simply Fortran ...it cost a few bucks but saves you the trouble of having to collect and install a few things by yourself.

Thanks man I appreciate it, just what I was looking for!

Ingenium5 said:
I need to learn to code in fortran 77 preferably or fortran 99 if 77 isn't available easily for a scientific computing course this fall.
There's is no "fortran 99", but there is Fortran 77, 90, 95.

Fortran 77 has a lot of punch card charm, that's somewhat funny, but anachronistic.

Fortran 95 is a good choice, e.g. because its FORALL statement is very interesting for HPC (High Performance Computing) and being motivated to code PURE from the very beginning is beneficial.

Ingenium5 said:
Does anyone know where I can obtain one of these compliers for somewhere between free and a few hundred dollars?

Assuming you're a student working on a Windows platform:

Checkout
http://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-education-offerings#pid-2460-93

and
http://ftp.g95.org/.

If ~$129 is ok for you, take intel.

Last edited:

Related to Where Can I Find Affordable Fortran Compilers for Scientific Computing?

1. What is a Fortran 77/90 compiler?

A Fortran 77/90 compiler is a computer program that translates source code written in the Fortran 77 or Fortran 90 programming languages into machine code that can be executed by a computer. It is an essential tool for developers who want to write and run programs in Fortran.

2. What is the difference between Fortran 77 and Fortran 90?

Fortran 77 and Fortran 90 are two versions of the Fortran programming language. Fortran 90 is an updated version of Fortran 77 and includes new features such as modules, dynamic memory allocation, and improved array handling. Fortran 90 is more modern and powerful than Fortran 77, making it the preferred choice for most developers.

3. What are the benefits of using a Fortran 77/90 compiler?

Using a Fortran 77/90 compiler allows developers to write and run efficient and high-performance programs in the Fortran programming language. It also provides access to advanced features and libraries that can improve the functionality and speed of programs. Additionally, a Fortran compiler can optimize code for specific hardware, making it an essential tool for scientific computing.

4. Are there free Fortran 77/90 compilers available?

Yes, there are several free Fortran 77/90 compilers available for download online. Some popular options include GNU Fortran, G95, and Silverfrost FTN95. These compilers are open-source and can be used for personal, academic, and commercial purposes without any cost.

5. Can Fortran 77/90 compilers be used for other languages?

No, Fortran 77/90 compilers are designed specifically for compiling programs written in the Fortran programming language. They cannot be used to compile code written in other languages, such as C or Java. However, some compilers may support multiple versions of Fortran, such as Fortran 77, 90, and 95.