Where are Heisenberg's Lost Notes?

In summary, Heisenberg's later years were plagued by disagreements with other scientists, and he eventually gave up on his work.
Lamarr
i was reading a Murray Gell Mann interview and he mentioned that Heisenberg became a crank in his later years.

I've tried very hard but I cannot find what Heisenberg was working on. My motivation is, there may be some bits of genius among that pile of crackpottery.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess Gell-Mann is referring to Heisenberg's non-linear Dirac equation. From the fact that nobody talks about this nowadays anymore, you can reach your own conclusions ;-). You find a review by Heisenberg himself in

W. Heisenberg, Rev. Mod. Phys. 29, 269 (1957)
http://link.aps.org/doi/10.1103/RevModPhys.29.269

Well, what's the key problem in his theory?

Also, I'm currently broke, so I can't read the review.

vanhees71 said:
I guess Gell-Mann is referring to Heisenberg's non-linear Dirac equation. From the fact that nobody talks about this nowadays anymore, you can reach your own conclusions ;-). You find a review by Heisenberg himself in

W. Heisenberg, Rev. Mod. Phys. 29, 269 (1957)
http://link.aps.org/doi/10.1103/RevModPhys.29.269
Thanks for the reference!
It looks however as if you call a number of people "nobody":

"96 citing articles found:

Nonlinear Spinor Fields and Its Role in Cosmology
Bijan Saha
International Journal of Theoretical Physics , (2012)

Matter-gravity couplings and Lorentz violation
V. Alan Kostelecký and Jay D. Tasson
Phys. Rev. D 83, 016013 (2011)

Four-fermion interaction from torsion as dark energy
Nikodem J. Popławski
General Relativity and Gravitation , (2011)

Reproducing gravity through spinor fields
M. Novello, M. Borba
Gravitation and Cosmology 17, 224 (2011)

Lorentz violation with an antisymmetric tensor
Brett Altschul, Quentin G. Bailey, and V. Alan Kostelecký
Phys. Rev. D 81, 065028 (2010)

Approximate gauge symmetry of composite vector bosons
Mahiko Suzuki
Phys. Rev. D 82, 045026 (2010)

Derivation of Nonlinear Schrödinger Equation
Xiang-Yao Wu, Bai-Jun Zhang, Xiao-Jing Liu, Li Xiao, Yi-Heng Wu, Yan Wang, Qing-Cai Wang, Shuang Cheng
International Journal of Theoretical Physics , (2010)

[..]

Constructing Dirac linear fermions in terms of non-linear Heisenberg spinors
M. Novello
EPL (Europhysics Letters) 80, 41001 (2007) "

Lamarr said:
Well, what's the key problem in his theory?

Also, I'm currently broke, so I can't read the review.

I have read that H was working with Wolfgang Pauli on something ambitious in their later years. Pauli was quite excited about it. P went to the USA and presented the theory but could not answer the objections. P gave up on it and seems to have been quite embarrassed by the whole thing, as he prided himself on having "never believed in anything that was wrong." P gave up research after that.

Related to Where are Heisenberg's Lost Notes?

1. Where are Heisenberg's Lost Notes?

As a scientist, I am often asked about the whereabouts of Heisenberg's Lost Notes. These notes refer to the unpublished work of German physicist Werner Heisenberg, who is best known for his contributions to the development of quantum mechanics. Unfortunately, the exact location of these notes is still a mystery.

2. Why are Heisenberg's Lost Notes important?

Heisenberg's Lost Notes are important because they could potentially provide valuable insights into his thought process and ideas that were never published. This could lead to a better understanding of quantum mechanics and its applications in various fields.

3. How did Heisenberg's Lost Notes go missing?

There is no definitive answer to how Heisenberg's Lost Notes disappeared. Some speculate that they were destroyed during World War II, while others believe they may have been hidden or lost during Heisenberg's travels. It is also possible that they are still in the possession of his family or colleagues.

4. Have any efforts been made to find Heisenberg's Lost Notes?

Yes, over the years, there have been several attempts to locate Heisenberg's Lost Notes. In the 1980s, a team of physicists searched for them in Germany, but to no avail. In recent years, with advancements in technology, there have been renewed efforts to find the lost notes, but they have not been successful yet.

5. Is there any hope of finding Heisenberg's Lost Notes?

While it is uncertain if Heisenberg's Lost Notes will ever be found, there is always hope. With new technologies and techniques emerging, there is always a chance that they could be discovered someday. Until then, scientists continue to search for clues and speculate on the potential impact these lost notes could have on our understanding of quantum mechanics.