Where are free online classes for Scientific Notation?

In summary, there are many free online resources available for learning scientific notation and the meanings and pronunciations of symbols used in math and physics. It is important to also learn the underlying math and physics concepts in order to fully understand the symbols. Many lectures and books are available for free online to aid in this learning process.
blackstar5000
I am new to astronomy and astrophysics, can anyone point to a great free online place to learn scientific notation? I am quite obsessed with learning the math, but unfortunately have not the funds to attend a proper school. Unfortunately I work for a cheap employer who doesn't even pay for work performed, he thinks I am a machine who is there to do his bidding at no cost to him. Is there any place online where I can learn the meanings and pronunciations of the symbols. I already understand the Power of 10. I know that this one Ω is Omega, and this one ∞ is infinity, and this one Δ is delta, and this one ∅ equals the content of my wallet, and the small numbers and letters are exponents. But how and when to use them is perplexing. I need a class. any recommendations? Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Scientific notation can mean writing numbers like 1.2354*10^4, so the question can be a little confusing.

Unfortunately, learning symbols as an exercise in and of itself is not very useful, other than maybe memorizing the Greek alphabet, science scientists tend to use those symbols a lot.

Most symbols have mathematical and/or physical meaning which you get from the context. Learning the symbols without learning the mathematics or physics involved is not very useful.

There are plenty of math and physics lectures, some from the best schools in the world like Stanford and MIT available online for free. In addition, most physics books have a list of common units and constants that are used in physics in their appendix or inside cover.

Thanks for the links and tips. And thank you for the kind welcome.

There are many free online resources available for learning scientific notation, particularly for those interested in astronomy and astrophysics. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Coursera, and edX. These websites offer a variety of courses and tutorials on scientific notation, including lessons on the meanings and pronunciations of symbols commonly used in this notation. Additionally, many universities and organizations offer free online courses on scientific notation and related topics. It may also be helpful to search for online forums or discussion groups where you can ask questions and receive guidance from experienced scientists and educators. We understand your financial limitations and encourage you to take advantage of these free resources to continue your learning and pursuit of knowledge in this field.

Related to Where are free online classes for Scientific Notation?

1. What is scientific notation?

Scientific notation is a way of writing numbers that are very large or very small in a more compact and manageable format. It is typically written in the form of a number between 1 and 10 multiplied by a power of 10.

2. Why is scientific notation important in science?

Scientific notation helps scientists to work with very large or very small numbers without having to write out all the digits. This makes calculations and comparisons easier and more accurate.

3. Where can I find free online classes for learning scientific notation?

There are many websites and online education platforms that offer free classes on scientific notation. Some examples include Khan Academy, Coursera, and edX.

4. Are there any prerequisites for taking online classes on scientific notation?

Most online classes on scientific notation are designed for students with a basic understanding of math and numbers. It is recommended to have knowledge of exponents and decimals before taking these classes.

5. How can I apply scientific notation in real-life situations?

Scientific notation is commonly used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and astronomy to represent very large or very small quantities. It can also be used in engineering and financial calculations. Understanding scientific notation can also help in interpreting scientific data and statistics.