When will the particles collide?

In summary, the collision of particles is dependent on several factors, including the velocity and direction of the particles, as well as the presence of any external forces or obstacles. The precise timing of the collision cannot be predicted with certainty, but it can be estimated using mathematical equations and simulations. Ultimately, the exact moment of collision will depend on the specific conditions and properties of the particles and their environment.
rudransh verma
Gold Member
Homework Statement
In fig, particle A moves along the line y=30m with a constant v= 3m/s parallel to x. At the instant particle A leaves the y axis particle B leaves origin with zero initial speed and constant acceleration a =0.4 m/s^2. Find theta
Relevant Equations
$$x=vt$$
$$s=ut+1/2at^2$$
I am stuck. Please ignore my handwriting. I am working on latex.
All I am taking is x and y coordinates same of both particles.
Yes they will meet at some time t.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It will help, if you could please create a drawing that shows both particles on the x-y axis, or at least include it here if it is given. I will assume that θ is the angle of the particle B with respect to the x or y axis. However, this angle could really take any value based only on your provided data. I will assume that the particles will meet at some time t, but you will need to specify they will meet, otherwise it is impossible to say what is θ.

1)Please write down the length of each side of the triangle.
2)Use Pythagorean theorem to find t (the time particles will meet)
3)Finally, you can then use the definition of either cosθ or sinθ to find the angle theta.

So to start with, what would be the length of the hypotenuse of the triangle?

phystro said:
1)Please write down the length of each side of the triangle.
2)Use Pythagorean theorem to find t (the time particles will meet)
3)Finally, you can then use the definition of either cosθ or sinθ to find the angle theta.

So to start with, what would be the length of the hypotenuse of the triangle?
$$\sqrt{(vt)^2 + 30^2}$$
I can simply use the definition of tan but the problem is what is t?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's correct! You need to equate this with x=(0.5)(a)(t2), and set t= tm.
So you will have: 302+ (3tm2)2=((0.5)(0.4)(tm2))2

You can copy and paste this to something like wolframalpha to find tm.

phystro said:
So you will have: 302+ (3tm2)2=((0.5)(0.4)(tm2))2

You can copy and paste this to something like wolframalpha to find tm.
Hi @phystro . I think
30²+ (3tₘ²)²=((0.5)(0.4)(tₘ²))²
should be
30²+ (3tₘ)²=((0.5)(0.4)(tₘ²))²

However, in the spirit of the PF homework forum, note that it's better to let @rudransh verma attempt to derive the equation rather than simply supply it.

Note, the equation can be quite easily solved without any special software.

• Sad
Likes rudransh verma and phystro
Steve4Physics said:
However, in the spirit of the PF homework forum, note that it's better to let @rudransh verma attempt to derive the equation rather than simply supply it.

Note, the equation can be quite easily solved without any special software.
$$30^2+3t^2=(1/2(.4)(t^2))^2$$
$$900+9t^2=.04t^4$$
After solving and taking $$t^2=x$$ I got $$x= 262.9, -37.9$$
So $$t=16.2 sec$$
$$\tan (\theta)=(3*16.2)/30$$
$$\theta = 58.3$$

Last edited by a moderator:
rudransh verma said:
$$30^2+3t^2=(1/2(.4)(t^2))^2$$
Note ##3t^2## should be ##(3t)^2## but the line after that is correct.

rudransh verma said:
$$900+9t^2=.04t^4$$
After solving and taking $$t^2=x$$ I got $$x= 262.9, -37.9$$
I don't get the same answer as you. Check your quadratic equation solutions by back-substitution. You can also check with a tool such as this: https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/algebra/quadratic-formula-calculator.php

Good work with the Latex. Note you can get fractions by using, for example:
\frac 1 2 which gives ##\frac 1 2## or
\frac {rudranch}{verma} which gives ##\frac {rudranch}{verma}##

Also, if you want your Latex in-line (not on a separate line) use ## instead of $$

Likes rudransh verma
I get 60°. I used the horizontal kinematic equation to find an expression for the collision time and substituted that into the vertical kinematic equation.

The discrepancy between your answer and mine is probably due to round-off errors. If you substitute ##a=\frac{4}{10}## m/s2 (instead of 0.4 m/s2) and simplify, you end up with a quadratic in ##\cos\theta## that can be solved quite easily as @Steve4Physics suggested.

kuruman said:
I get 60°. I used the horizontal kinematic equation to find an expression for the collision time and substituted that into the vertical kinematic equation.
The way you told me got 30 degrees.
$$vt=\frac 12 \frac {4}{10}cos(theta) t^2$$
$$30=\frac 12\frac {4 }{10} sin(theta) t^2$$
$$6= \frac {sin(theta) v^2} {cos^2 (theta)}$$
$$\frac 23=\frac {sin theta}{1-sin^2theta}$$
$$theta=30 degree$$

Last edited:
rudransh verma said:
The way you told me got 30 degrees.
$$vt=\frac 12 \frac {4}{10}cos(theta) t^2$$
$$30=\frac 12\frac {4 }{10} sin(theta) t^2$$
$$6= \frac {sin(theta) v^2} {cos^2 (theta)}$$
$$\frac 23=\frac {sin theta}{1-sin^2theta}$$
$$theta=30 degree$$
If you refer to the diagram in Post#1, you will see that ##\theta## is defined as the angle relative to the y-axis. I think you have incorrectly treated it as the angle relative to the x-axis.

I can’t understand how you got your 3rd equation. Where does ##v^2## come from?
[EDIT. I'm being silly. I understand.]

By the way, in Latex, \theta gives you ##\theta##.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes rudransh verma
Steve4Physics said:
By the way, in Latex, \theta gives you θ.
And \sin avoids "sin" appearing in italics. Similarly tan, cos, and maybe atan etc., but not sec, cosec.

Steve4Physics said:
If you refer to the diagram in Post#1, you will see that θ is defined as the angle relative to the y-axis. I think you have incorrectly treated it as the angle relative to the x-axis.
The two eqns will be ##vt=\frac12\frac{4}{10}\sin\theta t^2##
$$30=\frac12 0.4 \cos\theta t^2$$
After substituting the value of t we get $$60=\frac{v^2\cos\theta}{1-\cos^2\theta}$$
$$20\cos^2\theta + 3\cos\theta-20=0$$
$$\cos\theta=0.928, -1.078$$
$$\cos\theta=1,-1$$
-1 not possible so 1 is the value
$$\theta= 0$$
I didn’t got 60 degrees.

rudransh verma said:
After substituting the value of t we get $$60=\frac{v^2\cos\theta}{1-\cos^2\theta}$$
That's not what I get. Factor of 10 problem.

haruspex said:
That's not what I get. Factor of 10 problem.
What did you got?

rudransh verma said:
What did you got?
6 where you have 60.

haruspex said:
6 where you have 60.
I got it. slight calculation error.

I understand that in post #13 you made an algebraic mistake and you got 60 where you should have gotten 6 as @haruspex pointed out. You also made a mistake in logic which I will point out so that you will be aware of it. You wrote,
rudransh verma said:
$$\cos\theta=0.928, -1.078$$
$$\cos\theta=1,-1$$
-1 not possible so 1 is the value
$$\theta= 0$$
I agree that the value of the cosine can be no larger than +1 and no less than -1. Given your solutions, why do you conclude that the cosine must be equal to 1? The proper way to interpret the two solutions is to say
The second solution for the cosine, -1.078, is not acceptable because it is less than -1. Therefore we must accept the first solution ##\cos\theta=0.928## which gives ##\theta=\arccos(0.928)=21.9^{\text{o}}.##

It looks like you rejected both solutions and, for some unknown reason, you picked the value zero for the angle. You cannot do that. You have to base your conclusions on the evidence that you have. If you're wrong, you're wrong, but you cannot second guess yourself.

kuruman said:
It looks like you rejected both solutions and, for some unknown reason, you picked the value zero for the angle. You cannot do that. You have to base your conclusions on the evidence that you have. If you're wrong, you're wrong, but you cannot second guess yourself.
Yes! i was confused about the solutions of quadratic eqns. I know cos value can be 1 but i don't know how it can be -1. I googled it and found cos is -1 at Pi. I guessed that -1 is not possible only 1. Hence I neglected -1 after rounding off both values to 1 and -1. I was wrong.

• Informative
Likes kuruman

Related to When will the particles collide?

1. When will the particles collide?

The exact time of particle collisions is difficult to predict, as it depends on various factors such as the speed and trajectory of the particles, as well as any external forces acting on them. However, scientists can estimate the probability of collisions occurring within a certain time frame based on their knowledge of particle behavior.

2. How do scientists determine when particles will collide?

Scientists use advanced mathematical models and simulations to predict the behavior of particles and their likelihood of colliding. They also rely on experimental data from particle accelerators to refine their predictions.

3. Can we control when particles will collide?

In a particle accelerator, scientists can control the timing and location of particle collisions by manipulating the magnetic fields that guide the particles. However, in natural settings, such as in space, particle collisions are largely unpredictable.

4. What happens when particles collide?

When particles collide, they can either bounce off each other or fuse together, depending on their properties and the amount of energy involved. These collisions can also produce new particles or release energy in the form of radiation.

5. Are particle collisions dangerous?

In a controlled environment, such as a particle accelerator, particle collisions are not dangerous as the particles are moving at extremely high speeds and have very low mass. However, in natural settings, high-energy particle collisions, such as those caused by cosmic rays, can potentially damage living cells and DNA.