When does the series $\sum_2^\infty\frac{1}{n(\ln n)^p}$ diverge for $p<0$?

In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence of $\sum_2^\infty\frac{1}{n(\ln n)^p}$ when $p<0$. It is suggested to consider the function $f(x)=\frac{1}{x(\ln x)^p}$ and use the integral test to determine convergence. However, it is easier to use the comparison test with the function $\frac{1}{n}$ to show that the series diverges for $p<0$.
alexmahone
Test for convergence: $\sum_2^\infty\frac{1}{n(\ln n)^p}$ when $p<0$.

My working:

Consider the function $f(x)=\frac{1}{x(\ln x)^p}=\frac{(\ln x)^q}{x}$ when $q=-p>0$.

In order to use the integral test, I have to establish that $f(x)$ is decreasing for $x\ge 2$. How do I proceed?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Alexmahone said:
Test for convergence: $\sum_2^\infty\frac{1}{n(\ln n)^p}$ when $p<0$.

My working:

Consider the function $f(x)=\frac{1}{x(\ln x)^p}=\frac{(\ln x)^q}{x}$ when $q=-p>0$.

In order to use the integral test, I have to establish that $f(x)$ is decreasing for $x\ge 2$. How do I proceed?
Investigate when $\int_2^{\infty} f(x)dx$ converges (for which values $p$?).If you have troubles with integration by parts, in this case, you can use:http://www.encyclopediaofmath.org/index.php/Ermakov_convergence_criterion

Last edited:
Also sprach Zarathustra said:
Investigate when $\int_2^{\infty} f(x)dx$ converges (for which values $p$?).

Actually, it's easier to use the comparison test:

If $p<0$, $\frac{1}{n(\ln n)^p}=\frac{(\ln n)^{-p}}{n}>\frac{1}{n}$ for $n\ge 3$.

Since $\sum_2\frac{1}{n}$ diverges, $\sum_2\frac{1}{n(\ln n)^p}$ also diverges.

Related to When does the series $\sum_2^\infty\frac{1}{n(\ln n)^p}$ diverge for $p<0$?

Q: What is a test for convergence?

A: A test for convergence is a mathematical method used to determine whether an infinite series converges or diverges. Essentially, it helps determine if the sum of an infinite number of terms in a series has a finite value or not.

Q: How do you perform a test for convergence?

A: There are several different tests for convergence, including the ratio test, the root test, and the comparison test. Each test has its own specific set of rules and conditions for determining convergence or divergence.

Q: What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

A: Absolute convergence refers to a series where the absolute value of each term decreases as the series progresses. Conditional convergence refers to a series where the absolute value of each term does not necessarily decrease, but the series still converges.

Q: Can a series converge conditionally but not absolutely?

A: Yes, a series can converge conditionally but not absolutely. This means that while the series may have a finite sum, the absolute values of the terms do not decrease as the series progresses. An example of this is the alternating harmonic series, which converges conditionally but not absolutely.

Q: Why is it important to test for convergence?

A: Testing for convergence is important because it helps us determine whether a series has a finite sum or not. This information is crucial in many areas of mathematics and science, as it can help us make accurate predictions and draw conclusions from infinite series. Additionally, knowing whether a series converges or diverges can also help us evaluate the accuracy and validity of calculations and models.