When can you apply Ehrenfest's theorem?

In summary, there is confusion regarding the application of Ehrenfest's theorem to a time-independent wave function. It appears that the time-dependent part disappears when multiplied by its complex conjugate, leading to the confusion.
Logan Rudd
I know when the initial state (##\Psi(x,0)##) is given, ##\frac{d<x>}{dt} \not=<p>##. I thought you can only apply Ehrenfest's theorem when ##\Psi## is a function of x and t, however it seems like you can also apply it to the time-independent part (##\psi(x)##) by itself as well. Can someone explain to me why Ehrenfest's theorem is valid for ##\psi(x)##?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tip: enclose your LaTeX code in $$, not $. Correction: for "inline" LaTeX (i.e. in the middle of ordinary text) use ##, not $$. Use $$ when you want the code to "stand alone" as a separate paragraph.

You can edit your post if you don't wait too long, in which case you'll see "Edit" among the options at the bottom of the post. You apparently waited too long, so I fixed it for you.

Last edited:
Likes Logan Rudd
Logan, why do you think that Ehrenfest theorem can be applied to a time-independent wave function?

I think I see my confusion. It looks as if ET is being applied to ## \psi(x) ## but I think its just because the time dependent part disappears when you multiply it by its complex conjugate. Thanks!

Related to When can you apply Ehrenfest's theorem?

1. What is Ehrenfest's theorem?

Ehrenfest's theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the time evolution of quantum-mechanical expectation values to the classical equations of motion. It was developed by Paul Ehrenfest in 1927 and is often used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of quantum systems.

2. When can Ehrenfest's theorem be applied?

Ehrenfest's theorem can be applied to any quantum system that is governed by a Hamiltonian, which represents the total energy of the system. It is commonly used in systems with time-independent Hamiltonians, but can also be applied to time-dependent Hamiltonians with some modifications.

3. How is Ehrenfest's theorem used in quantum mechanics?

Ehrenfest's theorem is used in quantum mechanics to study the dynamics of quantum systems. It allows us to calculate the rate of change of expectation values of observables, such as position and momentum, over time. This can provide insight into the behavior and properties of quantum systems.

4. Are there any limitations to applying Ehrenfest's theorem?

Yes, there are limitations to applying Ehrenfest's theorem. It is based on the assumption that the Hamiltonian is time-independent, and therefore cannot be applied to systems with time-dependent Hamiltonians. Additionally, it only applies to systems with a finite number of degrees of freedom.

5. Can Ehrenfest's theorem be applied to classical systems?

No, Ehrenfest's theorem is specific to quantum systems and cannot be applied to classical systems. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics and the correspondence between quantum and classical mechanics, but does not hold for classical systems.