When can we use Vpp in calculations involving Ohm's law?

In summary, when applying Ohm's laws or power equations, we can use either VRMS and IRMS or VP and IP with an extra factor of 1/2. However, for V = IR, it does not make a difference as long as the same type (VRMS or Vp or Vpp) is used for both V and I. This may differ from what some texts state, but it is a more convenient and accurate approach.
Physixs

Homework Statement

So today in lecture, my professor talked about VRMS. I understand VRMS and its relationship to DC power dissipation, however, in lab today I became very confused.

In lecture, we were told to use the VRMS value when applying Ohms laws/power equations (P=VI). Then, later, in lab we were observing an AC voltage (1Vpp) across to resistors (wired on a breadboard).

The oscilloscope read 1Vpp drop across both resistors - which I was a little confused with... more importantly, I was confused because when I was using OHM's law (V=IR) to calculate the "calculated values" to compare them to the measured values, I used VRMS... since I thought that was what we could ONLY use... the Oscilloscope kept displaying Vpp... so I became very lose because even the text said that you had to use VRMS when using Ohm's laws - which would mean the oscilloscope was displaying the wrong values? or incorrectly using Vpp instead of VRMS?

Can someone help me to understand when we HAVE to use VRMS and when VP or VPP is even ok in a calculation?

Other lab information: We output the 1Vpp Voltage from a signal generated (sine wave) with a Frequency of 10kHz

Thank you so much

Homework Equations

P = VRMS I

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the solution... I just do not understand, from my text and lecture, why Vpp is allowed in Ohm's law. It made sense to me that we had to use RMS values

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Physixs! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Physixs said:
In lecture, we were told to use the VRMS value when applying Ohms laws/power equations (P=VI). Then, later, in lab we were observing an AC voltage (1Vpp) across to resistors (wired on a breadboard).

… when I was using OHM's law (V=IR) to calculate the "calculated values" to compare them to the measured values, I used VRMS... since I thought that was what we could ONLY use... the Oscilloscope kept displaying Vpp... so I became very lose because even the text said that you had to use VRMS when using Ohm's laws - which would mean the oscilloscope was displaying the wrong values? or incorrectly using Vpp instead of VRMS?

For P = VI we can use Vrms and Irms, or we can use Vp and Ip with an extra factor of 1/2.

(for the detailed equation, see eg the pf library on impedance)

Obviously, rms is more convenient! :wink:

For V = IR, I don't see that it makes any difference, so long as you use the same type (rms or p or pp) for both V and I. :wink:

Thanks!

That's not what my text said (it said I could ONLY use Vrms when using OHM's laws since the laws were based in DC...) so I was very confused. What you are saying makes a lot more sense!

Related to When can we use Vpp in calculations involving Ohm's law?

1. What is Vrms and how is it calculated?

Vrms, or root mean square voltage, is a measure of the effective or average voltage in an AC circuit. It is calculated by taking the square root of the average of the squared voltage values over one cycle.

2. How is Vrms different from peak voltage?

Peak voltage is the highest voltage value in an AC circuit, while Vrms is the effective or average voltage. Vrms takes into account the fluctuations in voltage over one cycle, while peak voltage only looks at the maximum value.

3. What is the relationship between Vrms and DC power dissipation?

Vrms and DC power dissipation are related through Ohm's Law. The power dissipated in a resistor is equal to the square of the voltage (Vrms) divided by the resistance (R).

4. How does Vrms affect the efficiency of an AC circuit?

Vrms is a measure of the effective voltage in an AC circuit, so a higher Vrms value means that more power is being delivered to the circuit. This can result in a more efficient circuit, as less power is lost to heat or other forms of energy conversion.

5. What factors can impact Vrms and DC power dissipation in a circuit?

The resistance of the circuit, the frequency of the AC signal, and any changes in the voltage or current over time can all impact Vrms and DC power dissipation. Additionally, components such as capacitors and inductors can also affect these values due to their impedance properties.