Whats the most common roller chain norm for bicycles?

In summary, the conversation revolved around designing a bike in Autodesk Inventor and the difficulty of determining the standard norm for the sprockets. The speaker was unsure of the exact standard but knew it was similar to other sprockets seen in bikes. They asked for the most common norm and were directed to search for the chain pitch and gear ratios online. The summary concludes that the pitch of bicycle chain is standardized at 1/2'' but the width can vary, while gearing ratios can vary greatly. The speaker was ultimately able to find a suitable norm for their design.
wolterh
I am designing a bike in Autodesk Inventor for a university project, and I am stuck with the sprockets. Inventor can create them fairly easily when you know the norm of the sprocket and the number of teeth it has, but I don't know the standard of the sprocket I have to design; I merely know that its about the same proportion of the rest of the sprockets I have ever seen in bikes, so which is the most common norm?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well I was talking about the actual ISO / ANSI norm used in the design process, the pitch diameter I was able to measure and the radius too (I only need one sprocket). Anyway, thanks for your contribution, after tinkering for a while I found a norm that seemed bicycle worthy enough.

Related to Whats the most common roller chain norm for bicycles?

1. What is the most common roller chain norm used for bicycles?

The most common roller chain norm used for bicycles is the ANSI/ASME standard. This standard is widely recognized and used by most bicycle manufacturers.

2. How is the ANSI/ASME standard different from other roller chain norms?

The ANSI/ASME standard differs from other roller chain norms in terms of its dimensions and specifications. It has specific requirements for the size, load capacity, and strength of the chain, making it ideal for use in bicycles.

3. Are there any alternative roller chain norms used for bicycles?

Yes, there are alternative roller chain norms used for bicycles, such as the ISO standard and the DIN standard. These norms are commonly used in Europe and may have different dimensions and specifications compared to the ANSI/ASME standard.

4. What factors should be considered when choosing a roller chain norm for a bicycle?

When choosing a roller chain norm for a bicycle, factors such as load capacity, durability, and compatibility with other components should be considered. It is also important to ensure that the chain meets the specifications and requirements of the bicycle manufacturer.

5. Can different roller chain norms be used together on a bicycle?

No, different roller chain norms should not be used together on a bicycle. Each norm has its own specifications and dimensions, and mixing them can lead to compatibility issues and potential damage to the bicycle.