What's the greatest mechanical force we can achieve?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of diamond-anvil presses for studying high pressure physics. These presses can achieve pressures up to 6 million atmospheres and allow for spectroscopy through the diamond anvil. The conversation also mentions a book, titled _High-Pressure Physics_, which provides further information on the subject.
kieyard
hello everybody,

just doing some general designing and was wondering what is the greatest mechanical force we can achieve already, in the form of a piston or a press. i am not to sure how, just want to know the value and how its achieved.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Probably diamond-anvil press used for studying high pressure physics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_anvil_cell

These have been used to study pressures up to 6 million atmospheres. Of course, it is in a very small sample. But the cool thing is, since the anvil is a diamond, you can do spectroscopy through the anvil into the sample.

It's pretty cool why I know about this. That's really me in my avatar picture, standing in front of a fusion research device. No I didn't work on the project, not directly. But work on a contract related to it got me a tour, hence a selfie.

So this project needs to know about the equation of state of materials up to rather high pressures. And so I was able to look up, and refer them to, the book _High-Pressure Physics_ by John Loveday.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1439814287/?tag=pfamazon01-20

That book describes a lot about this subject.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What's the greatest mechanical force we can achieve?

1. What is the definition of mechanical force?

Mechanical force is a physical push or pull that can cause an object to change its state of motion or shape.

2. What are the units of measurement for mechanical force?

The SI unit for mechanical force is Newton (N), but it can also be measured in other units such as pound-force (lbf) or kilogram-force (kgf).

3. How is mechanical force calculated?

Mechanical force is calculated using the formula F = ma, where F represents force, m represents mass, and a represents acceleration.

4. What factors affect the maximum mechanical force that can be achieved?

The maximum mechanical force that can be achieved depends on factors such as the strength of the object being pushed or pulled, the surface area of contact, and the amount of friction present.

5. Can the maximum mechanical force be increased beyond a certain limit?

Yes, the maximum mechanical force can be increased by utilizing mechanical advantage through tools such as levers, pulleys, and gears. However, there is a physical limit to the amount of force that can be achieved without causing damage to the object being pushed or pulled.