What's physics in Canada like?

In summary, the conversation discusses the job prospects for physics in Canada, specifically in regards to getting a Ph.D. and working at a national lab. The speaker also mentions the competitiveness of academia and the potential to work in other fields such as medical physics or geophysics.
Ju00611
Any Canadian physicists on here? I'm taking engineering (1st year), but next year I want to switch to physics. I realize that a job in academia is pretty unrealistic given the amount of competition, but if I were to get a Ph.D. in physics, are the job prospects for physics decent in Canada?

My dream would be the work at a national lab such as Perimeter, Triumf or SNOLAB. Is this a reasonable goal? I'd hate to get a Ph.D. in physics only to become a programmer (not that there's anything wrong with that, but I could just get a BS in computer science). Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's like physics in the US, only colder.:wink:

It sounds like you're already aware that a job in academia is competitive. For the most part, I don't think the odds are all that different from the US.

A lot can depend though, on the specific sub-field that you go into and the demand for it. I'm a medical physicist in Canada and relative to a lot of the other sub-fields that are largely academic, there is more demand for medical physicists. That's because there are employment prospects outside of universities. The same is true for geophysics. The oilfields are slow right now, but they tend to employ a lot of people with a background in geophysics.

Likes Dishsoap

Related to What's physics in Canada like?

1. What is the main focus of physics research in Canada?

In Canada, the main focus of physics research is on areas such as condensed matter physics, quantum information and computation, astrophysics and cosmology, and particle physics. There is also a growing emphasis on interdisciplinary research, particularly in areas such as biophysics and materials science.

2. What are the top universities for studying physics in Canada?

Some of the top universities for studying physics in Canada include the University of Toronto, the University of British Columbia, McGill University, and the University of Waterloo. These universities have strong research programs and offer a wide range of courses and specializations in physics.

3. What opportunities are available for physics students in Canada?

There are many opportunities available for physics students in Canada, including internships and research positions at universities and research institutes. There are also various scholarships and funding opportunities for graduate students. Additionally, there are many organizations and societies, such as the Canadian Association of Physicists, that provide networking and career development opportunities.

4. How is the job market for physics graduates in Canada?

The job market for physics graduates in Canada is quite strong. Many graduates find employment in research or teaching positions at universities and research institutes. Others may work in industries such as technology, engineering, or finance, where a strong background in physics is highly valued. The demand for skilled physicists is expected to continue to grow in the coming years.

5. What is the overall environment like for physics research in Canada?

The overall environment for physics research in Canada is highly collaborative and supportive. There is a strong emphasis on interdisciplinary research and international collaborations. The research infrastructure in Canada is also well-developed, with access to state-of-the-art facilities and equipment. Additionally, the Canadian government provides significant funding for research in the natural sciences, including physics.