What would you present about light if you have 90-sec time?

In summary, light is an important subject that has been studied for many years. This year, 2015, is the year of light, which is an observance organized by the United Nations. There are many achievements that optical and other light-based technologies have made, and light is essential to our understanding of the universe.
Dorea
As you know, this year, 2015, is the year of light: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Year_of_Light

I want to create a video clip limited to 90 seconds to show in our university's TED-like show to make students excited about light.

Do you have any idea? any experiment?

Science news on Phys.org
Dorea said:
As you know, this year, 2015, is the year of light: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Year_of_Light

I want to create a video clip limited to 90 seconds to show in our university's TED-like show to make students excited about light.

I think an interesting one is to show total internal reflection in a prism, then bring another prism into contact with the reflecting surface and show that the light now goes straight through. And what happens, and how, when a very small gap is used between the prisms?

Likes RaulTheUCSCSlug
I think another cool thing to show is the obvious light as a particle and a wave, and maybe light traveling through the universe or something! :-p

If you have a few large polarization filters:

Likes RaulTheUCSCSlug
As opposed to "light as a particle or a wave" I would emphasize that modern physics states clearly that light is not either one. The Classical Physics view of "wave particle duality" has been dead for about 90 years.

Light is a quantum object and if you get different points of results about it depending on how your measurement is set up. If you measure for a particle then you see the particle like characteristics and if you measure for a wave then you get wave-like characteristics, but in terms of classical particles and waves, light is neither one.

What you can emphasize is that this was a very big deal back in 1927 when Dirac (and others) figured it out.

Likes RaulTheUCSCSlug
Dorea said:

Given that the IYL is: a United Nations observance that aims to raise awareness of the achievements of light science and its applications, and its importance to humankind.
I'd focus on the achievements of optical and other light-based technologies and emphasize our dependence on it. You could show a few of the critical technologies, like lasers and fiber optics, a few of the mundane things, like light-bulbs and plane mirrors, and talk about how critical light is to our understanding of the universe. Not only does it allow us to do things like communicate and transfer information, but the vast majority of our knowledge of the universe comes from optical and near-optical instruments. (Insert picture of Hubble Space Telescope)

Related to What would you present about light if you have 90-sec time?

1. What is light?

Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that can be perceived by the human eye. It is the visible portion of the electromagnetic spectrum, which also includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays.

2. How does light travel?

Light travels in straight lines at a constant speed of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. It can also travel through certain materials, such as air, water, and glass, but its speed may be slightly slower in these mediums.

3. What is the relationship between light and color?

Light is made up of different wavelengths, and when these wavelengths enter our eyes, they are interpreted as different colors. The visible spectrum of light ranges from red (longer wavelengths) to violet (shorter wavelengths). Objects appear to have different colors because they absorb some wavelengths of light and reflect others.

4. How is light used in everyday life?

Light plays a crucial role in our daily lives. It allows us to see and perceive our surroundings, helps plants grow through photosynthesis, and is used in various technologies such as lighting, communication, and medical imaging. Light also has therapeutic benefits and is used in treatments such as phototherapy.

5. Can light be harmful?

Yes, light can be harmful in some situations. Ultraviolet (UV) radiation, which is part of the electromagnetic spectrum, can cause damage to our skin and eyes if we are exposed to too much of it. X-rays and gamma rays, which have shorter wavelengths than UV radiation, can also be harmful and are used in medical procedures with caution.