What were the advantages of biplanes?

• Thread starter ank_gl
  • Start date
In summary: However, the drag of the biplane is the square feet of the two (or more) wing's area in a wind and the structural weight is the cubic volume of the wings. That's why, once the engines got good enough, the monoplane took over.In summary, the advantages of biplanes were that they provided almost twice as much lift for a given wingspan, had a lower stall speed, and were more maneuverable. However, their complex structure and high drag compared to monoplanes eventually led to their decline in popularity. They are still used today for stunt planes and have advantages in short take-off and landing (STOL) capabilities. The main disadvantage of biplanes was their low power to weight ratio, which limited
ank_gl
What were the advantages of biplanes??

what were the advantages of biplanes??:confused::confused: i mean they were structurally more complex, had more drag and many things, then why the earlier flying machines were biplanes?? what made them more advantageous in earlier times??
was their only purpose was to provide more lift?? if so, why aren't they used now(i mean, in air not in meuseums:wink:)

Engineering news on Phys.org
You get (almost) twice as much lift for a given wingspan.
It was difficult to create long wings that were stiff enough to support themselves and the aerodynamic forces. Biplanes not only give you shorter wings but you can easily brace them against each other.
The problem as you pointed out is that they are complex and give lots of drag.

Some are used today, tandem wings (with one wing in front of the other) or canards (small wing near the nose) - they are more manouverable and usually don't need horizontal tails.

ank_gl said:
more lift?
More "lift" also means a lower stall speed in many cases and shorter/stronger wings. In both cases this adds to rough field performance and in air maneuverability.

mgb_phys said:
Some are used today, tandem wings (with one wing in front of the other) or canards (small wing near the nose) - they are more manouverable and usually don't need horizontal tails.
As I understand it in a canard both sets of wings create and add to the lift.

In a main wing wth tail wing the tail wing creates a down force to counter some of the lift and maintain a level flight.

so the complex built is the only reason behind the demise of such planes

ank_gl said:
so the complex built is the only reason behind the demise of such planes
They are still around for all the reasons they first found favor (see stunt planes).

The need for speed, paved airports, time is money....call it what you will they are just not mainstream in todays world.

Also remember the importance of thrust to weight ratio - those planes didn't have the option to fly faster to generate more lift.

kach22i said:
As I understand it in a canard both sets of wings create and add to the lift.

In a main wing wth tail wing the tail wing creates a down force to counter some of the lift and maintain a level flight.

As far as I can remember (and it's been a while), the main advantage to canards is that they lower the stall potential for the main wings. You can have a steeper angle of attack at low power without falling down.
The elevators don't counter lift; they simply change the pitch axis of the aeroplane. You get the same effect with elevons on a delta layout, which doesn't even have a 'tail'.

Danger said:
advantage to canards is that they lower the stall potential for the main wings
Yes, the canard has a higher angle of attack than the wing and stalls first, this pushes the nose down, increases the speed and automatically recovers.

I'm guessing also that since the canard isn't in the wash of the main wing the aerodynamic controls on it are more effective than on a conventional tail.

I'm not sure about that last bit, Mgb. It makes sense, but I've never seen canards with control surfaces. Usually, the whole thing moves (both sides together as a unit).

russ_watters said:
Also remember the importance of thrust to weight ratio - those planes didn't have the option to fly faster to generate more lift.

why so? why can't biplanes fly faster

As mgb_phys already said, more drag.

As far as I understood, at the dawn of aviation there was this widely accepted notion that the wing should be like a flat plate only cambered to give lift, which gave it poor structural integrity. Therefore they couldn't build a strong and light enough single wing to support more capable and heavier WW1 airplanes, although the first true WW1 fighter, Fokker Eindecker of 1915, was, as the name implies, single-winged. The thin-wing hypothesis was finally disspelled at the turn of 1920's by the folks from Gottingen.

Once the structural problems were resolved, two wings simply didn't equate any more weight/drag-wise in most any practical use. Short span is good for roll-rate, therefore, as mentioned, aerobatics may profit. Also, biplane can be usefull for STOL design if efficiency is not an issue; An-2, designed in 1947 way after biplane concept was abandoned, can fly at about 55 km/h with light load.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)

ank_gl said:
why so? why can't biplanes fly faster
I'm talking historically - engines were not very advanced when biplanes wre in their heyday and their power to weight ratio was pretty low.

russ_watters said:
I'm talking historically - engines were not very advanced when biplanes wre in their heyday and their power to weight ratio was pretty low.
Engines were wretched back in the era of WWI. Horrible thrust to weight. They were definitely the weak link.

Related to What were the advantages of biplanes?

What were the advantages of biplanes?

1. What is a biplane?
A biplane is a type of fixed-wing aircraft with two main wings stacked one above the other.

2. What were the advantages of having two wings instead of one?
Having two wings provided a larger surface area for lift and stability, allowing the biplane to fly at slower speeds and with more control.

3. How did biplanes compare to monoplanes?
Biplanes were generally slower and less maneuverable than monoplanes, but they were also more stable and could carry heavier loads.

4. What were the advantages of biplanes in combat?
Biplanes were popular in the early 20th century for military use because they were easier to fly and could take off and land in shorter distances, making them ideal for reconnaissance and combat missions.

5. Why did biplanes become less popular?
As aircraft technology advanced, monoplanes became more efficient and faster than biplanes. This led to the decline of biplanes in favor of monoplanes for both military and civilian use.