What was the speed of the motorcycle before the collision?

In summary, a car with a mass of 1200 kg and a speed of 70 km/h collides with a motorcycle with a mass of 250 kg. The resulting collision causes the two vehicles to lock together and continue with a speed of 45 km/h in the car's original direction. To find the speed of the motorcycle before the collision, the equation for total momentum before and after the collision is used. The solution involves setting the total momentum before the collision equal to the total momentum after the collision and solving for the unknown velocity of the motorcycle. The correct method to convert from m/s to km/h is by using the conversion factor of 3.6. The final answer is a velocity of 75 km/h for the motorcycle
Fishingaxe

Homework Statement

A car with a mass of 1200 kg and a speed of 70 km/h collides in a head-on collision with a motorcycle. The vehicles lock together and continue along with the speed of 45 km / h in the cars original direction. The motorcycle weighing 250 kg.
What is the speed of the motorcycle before the collision?
(The masses of both the are included in the weights given)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, I'm having a hard time with this one.

I've tried to do something like this:

m= 1200kg

v= 70km/h = 19.4m/s

1200*19.4 = 23280N = 23.3kN

1200*19.4+250*x (why I tried something like this is because I had seen a similar problem being solved along these lines, but on that problem all the information was given, so I thought I could solve this by simply giving the motorcykle the speed of X. However I do not understand this at all, so I thought I'd come here and ask for help to put me into the right direction. I'd like to understand every answer I write and you guys are always to a great help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Fishingaxe! :wink:
Fishingaxe said:
… I thought I could solve this by simply giving the motorcykle the speed of X.

Yes, you're right, you can!

If you carry on, you should get an equation which you can solve for X. :smile:

can someone confirm if the answer is 12.88m/s.

I think I am waaaaaaaaaaaay off.

For a similar problem the calculation looked like this: (6,0kg)(5,0m/s)+(2,0kg)(-8m/s)/8=1,75m/s

So I did: (1200kg)(19.4m/s)+(250kg)(x)/19.4(maybe it's /x?) then I got 23280+250x/19.4 which is hard to solve? I must be a retard on some level. This is probably obvious for most of you.. :s Maybe I am doing a wrong equation?

P=mv
ptot=p1+p2
ptot=(m1+m2)*v

p1=23280
p2=250*x
ptot=(1200+250)*12.5

18125 = 23280 - 250x
250x = 5155
x=20.62

Answer: the velocity of the motorcycle is 20.62 m/s.

Is this correct?

Hi Fishingaxe! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)

I'm not really understanding your equation. :confused:

It should be total-momentum-before = total-momentum-after.​

EDIT: ooh, you just replied again, hold on I'll have a look! :wink:

Fishingaxe said:
ptot=(m1+m2)*v

p1=23280
p2=250*x
ptot=(1200+250)*12.5

Yes, that's the correct method! :smile:

However, the answer is not in the correct units …

the question gave all the speeds in km/hr, so shouldn't the answer should be in km/hr also? :wink:

There was no need to convert!

tiny-tim said:
Yes, that's the correct method! :smile:

However, the answer is not in the correct units …

the question gave all the speeds in km/hr, so shouldn't the answer should be in km/hr also? :wink:

There was no need to convert!

Okay, so the answer should be written as 74.2km/h? :)

i don't get 74.2 :confused:

tiny-tim said:
i don't get 74.2 :confused:

Hm, if the v for the motorcycle is 20.62m/s then the v for it in km/h should be 20.62*60*60?

can you do it in km/hr throughout (ie without converting to m/s and back)?

Fishingaxe said:
Hm, if the v for the motorcycle is 20.62m/s then the v for it in km/h should be 20.62*60*60?
Nope.

p=mv

p1 = 1200*70 = 84000

p2 = 250*x

ptot (1200+250)*45

65250 = 84000-250x

250x = 18750

x=75

So the velocity is 75km/h.

I am a bit confused though. If I got when I measured in m/s, 20.62m/s. Why shouldn't the speed be, 20.62*60(seconds in 1 minute)*60(minutes in one hour). Then the answer becomes 74232m/h = 74.2km/h?

And what is the correct method to convert m/s to km/h?

lep11 said:
Nope.

1 meter / second = 3.6 km/h so what was wrong?

Fishingaxe said:
65250 = 84000-250x

250x = 18750

x=75

So the velocity is 75km/h.

yup! :biggrin:

(and can you see how much simpler that is?)
I am a bit confused though. If I got when I measured in m/s, 20.62m/s. Why shouldn't the speed be, 20.62*60(seconds in 1 minute)*60(minutes in one hour). Then the answer becomes 74232m/h = 74.2km/h?

you must have made a mistake somewhere :wink:
And what is the correct method to convert m/s to km/h?

3.6 ?

tiny-tim said:
yup! :biggrin:

(and can you see how much simpler that is?)

you must have made a mistake somewhere :wink:

3.6 ?

Ah, I used too few decimals when I converted 70km/h to m/s. I used 19.4 instead of 19.44444 ;)A

Thanks for your help :D

Related to What was the speed of the motorcycle before the collision?

What is the definition of velocity after a collision?

Velocity after a collision is the speed and direction of an object immediately after it has collided with another object.

How is velocity after a collision calculated?

Velocity after a collision is calculated using the conservation of momentum equation, which states that the total momentum of the objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

What factors affect the velocity after a collision?

The velocity after a collision can be affected by factors such as the masses of the objects involved, their initial velocities, and the type of collision (elastic or inelastic).

What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, both the total momentum and the total kinetic energy of the objects are conserved. In an inelastic collision, only the total momentum is conserved but some of the kinetic energy is lost to other forms of energy.

Can the velocity after a collision ever be greater than the initial velocities?

No, the velocity after a collision can never be greater than the initial velocities. This is because the conservation of momentum equation dictates that the total momentum after the collision must be equal to the total momentum before the collision.