What to study in mathematics after taking basic math courses?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of specializing in mathematics and how to find areas of interest in the field. The conversation recommends studying differential geometry and suggests resources for beginners. It also mentions the importance of having a strong background in various branches of mathematics before specializing.
Minhtran1092
I've taken differential,integral,multivariate calculus, DEQs, Introductory Linear Algebra, and am currently taking complex analysis and vector calculus (an extension of vector calc from multivariate). As a math student, how do you decide what to study after that? Is it time to specialize?

I don't have a broad road map of mathematics but I do know that I like to think about space, mappings, surfaces. How do mathematicians go about finding what they like to research/learn (either as a hobby or for their research)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not even close to specializing time. You should try reading some general topology, abstract algebra and maybe some real/functional analysis books. If surfaces sound interesting to you, then look into some differential geometry. Shop around and see what you like.

Hi jgens, can you recommend any books for differential geometry for beginner?

Depends on your background and where you want to go with the subject. I think that Spivak and Lee are great books to get a feel for manifolds and the very basics of differential geometry. Do Carmo is another popular alternative.

Likes 1 person
Is there any basic knowledge I need to know before studying differential geometry?

To OP, you are nowhere close to being able to specialize. Take two more years of general math, including more linear algebra, a couple semesters of analysis, some algebra, and a good topology course. You can always mix in stuff like intros to PDE, DG, graph theory, whatever here, but by no means should you specialize until you've tasted a sizable bit from each field.

cxcxcx0505 said:
Is there any basic knowledge I need to know before studying differential geometry?

What is your math background? Have you taken analysis, topology, algebra, a bit of algebraic topology, linear algebra, and how much of each? There are many places to start in Differential Geometry and Topology, but they all depend on your background. As mentioned already, if you have a mastery of the sophmore/junior courses associated with the above topics, you should probably be able to tackle Lee. However, it would be good to have a more 'intuitive' and elementary DG course first. DoCarmo is good. If you like physics, Nakahara is great.

You can usually see some on-going areas of research by taking some courses in number theory if you want to get a feel for some of the problems out there that is. You will likely need abstract algebra if you intend to go that route as well though. Many different things branch off abstract algebra, to name a few: algebraic geometry, algebraic number theory, algebraic topology.

Broccoli21 said:
What is your math background? Have you taken analysis, topology, algebra, a bit of algebraic topology, linear algebra, and how much of each? There are many places to start in Differential Geometry and Topology, but they all depend on your background. As mentioned already, if you have a mastery of the sophmore/junior courses associated with the above topics, you should probably be able to tackle Lee. However, it would be good to have a more 'intuitive' and elementary DG course first. DoCarmo is good. If you like physics, Nakahara is great.

Thanks for your advice. Actually I'm a engineer, the highest level of maths I have studied is engineering maths and numerical analysis. This is my first time heard about topology and manifold.

Related to What to study in mathematics after taking basic math courses?

1. What are the different branches of mathematics?

The main branches of mathematics are algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, and statistics. Other branches include number theory, discrete mathematics, and differential equations.

2. How do I decide which branch of mathematics to study?

It is important to consider your interests and career goals when deciding which branch of mathematics to study. If you are interested in solving real-world problems, then statistics or applied mathematics may be a good fit. If you enjoy abstract thinking and problem-solving, then pure mathematics or theoretical branches may be more suitable.

3. What are some common careers in mathematics?

Some common careers in mathematics include data analyst, actuary, mathematician, statistician, and financial analyst. Mathematics skills are also highly sought after in fields such as engineering, computer science, and economics.

4. Are there any advanced math courses that are beneficial for all students?

Yes, there are several advanced math courses that can benefit all students regardless of their field of study. These include linear algebra, differential equations, and mathematical modeling. These courses help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are useful in many areas.

5. How can I continue to improve my math skills after completing basic math courses?

One way to continue improving your math skills is to practice regularly and challenge yourself with more difficult problems. You can also take advanced math courses, attend workshops or seminars, and seek out resources such as online tutorials or books. Working with a tutor or joining a study group can also help you improve your understanding and application of mathematical concepts.