What to review for differential equations?

In summary, the speaker is asking for important concepts to master before taking a differential equations class. Some important concepts include rules of differentiation and integration, definite and indefinite integration, LaPlace and Fourier transforms, linear independence/dependence, and eigenvalues and eigenfunctions.
stgermaine
Hi. I'm not sure if this is the right place for this kind of question, but it's related to coursework.

I took Calc III during senior year of high school and linear algebra during freshman first semester. Then, I haven't taken any math class because I tried to fill my prereqs out and also take some premed courses (parents' idea)

Anyway, I'll be taking differential equations the coming fall semester. What are some of the more important concepts that I need to really master before tackling differential equations?

Thank you and sorry if there's a better place to ask this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a list of things you should be familiar with:

Rules of differentiation and integration.
Definite and indefinite integration.
LaPlace and Fourier transforms.
The subject of linear independence/dependence.
Eigenvalues and eigenfunctions.

Related to What to review for differential equations?

What topics should I review for differential equations?

Some of the key topics that you should review for differential equations include: basic algebra, functions and their graphs, derivatives, integrals, and linear algebra. It is also important to have a solid understanding of basic calculus concepts such as limits, continuity, and differentiability.

What are the key techniques for solving differential equations?

Some of the key techniques for solving differential equations include separation of variables, integrating factors, substitution, and power series. It is also important to understand how to use initial and boundary conditions to find the specific solution to a differential equation.

How can I prepare for applications of differential equations?

To prepare for applications of differential equations, it is important to have a strong understanding of the different types of differential equations, such as linear, nonlinear, and systems of differential equations. It is also helpful to practice solving real-world problems and interpreting the results.

What are some common mistakes when solving differential equations?

Some common mistakes when solving differential equations include not correctly identifying the type of differential equation, making algebraic errors, and not properly applying initial and boundary conditions. It is important to pay close attention to the specific steps and techniques needed for each type of differential equation.

What resources are available for reviewing differential equations?

There are many resources available for reviewing differential equations, including textbooks, online tutorials and videos, practice problems and quizzes, and study groups or tutoring sessions. It is also helpful to review notes and previous coursework to refresh your understanding of key concepts.