What should I do with my life?

• Thread starter Blue_Jaunte
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker feeling lost and directionless after completing college with a degree in physics. They express openness to suggestions and mention potential career paths such as engineering, meteorology, and teaching. Other participants suggest grad school, actuarial work, and exploring different job options. Some advise the speaker to enjoy life and not smoke, while others suggest getting a PhD in philosophy and finding a significant other. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the common struggle of young adults in deciding their path in life and the importance of not getting overwhelmed by too many options.
Blue_Jaunte
When I was in college, I had some direction, even if it was just the pursuit of a diploma. Now that I'm done, I feel like I'm stranded in mid-ocean with no discernible wind or current pushing me in any direction. Admittedly, this is my fault. I had a narrow focus and was concerned only with the short-term deadlines of exams and papers. There were many resources at my disposal (or so I'm led to believe) that would have given me some practical, career-related advice, but I never availed myself of them.

I got my BS in physics because I like physics, not because I had a particular career in mind. So at present, I'm very open to suggestions. If I don't get input from someone in the know, I'm sure I'll end up in some job I can't stand. I know there's a demand for science and math teachers, but I have absolutely no talent for teaching. Other than that, I'll try anything.

Thanks,
Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
Try entry level engineering jobs. Make sure to list on your resume how your physics degree applies to engineering.

How about meteorology? You could continue using wind and water metaphors.

Do you have other hobbies or interests besides physics that might contribute to your employability or make you suited to a particular job? (eg playing computer games => work as a game programmer).

If you are interested in physics, the obvious thing is to go to grad school. This way you can find work in physics.

If you are done with school, then you can apply for jobs in banks as you have a very deep knowledge of applied mathematics. An actuary is a lucrative job, but would require studying actuarial sciences and statistics in your spare time to pass the exams.

Ask yourself where youd like to work and find entry positions there, even if the pay is bad. This way you can advance and make decent money doing what you like.

If you're in a large city, try technical or engineering temp work. This way, you'll be able to "sample" several different jobs and corporate cultures. It may give you an idea of which direction you want to go.

If you want to be rich investment banking springs to mind, although you'd probably need a PhD to be taken on as a quant...or you could take a business masters on top of your physics bach, and be a trader 'close to the money'.

Nuclear engineer? or some other form of engineering...
Medical physics?
Software developer?

How about a few weeks of trip -alone- to some different places. Not very specific plan, no internet, limited phone access. It sounds you need this. Will be an interesting experience. :P

What should I do with my life?
Live it!

Use it wisely! It's the only one you've got.

just don't smoke. then you'll have about 10 years longer to decide!

mathwonk said:
just don't smoke. then you'll have about 10 years longer to decide!

Funny, that's the same time it takes to get a BS and PhD in Physics...

Get a PhD in philosophy from Brown.

And start running. Get addicted to runner's high.

I actually think these threads are the ones that give the least to everyone participating at a forum.

First off, we don't have any more input than you don't know what to do with your life?

Second, you've got a degree, you have tasted most of the different ways of doing physics there is.

Third, people in our generation got so many choices that a lot of people get totally blank and just shuts down in front of the decisions. Which is a very bad thing. You shouldn't do that too often in life, because only dead fishes flow with the stream.

fourth, how did it go at college?

fifth, You must have done something more than just studying? Something extracurricular should have given you some perspective on what you want to do with your life.

sixth, get a grip... for the love of...

find a girlfriend like myself, i don't have a boyfriend:-)

Serbian.matematika said:
i don't have a boyfriend:-)

In my experience, such is the best kind of girlfriend to have.

Signifier said:
Get a PhD in philosophy from Brown.

...:rolleyes:

Related to What should I do with my life?

1. What factors should I consider when deciding on a career path?

When deciding on a career path, it is important to consider your interests, skills, values, and goals. You should also research job market trends and potential salary expectations in your desired field. Additionally, think about the type of work environment that would best suit you and the potential for career growth and job satisfaction.

2. How do I figure out my passion or purpose in life?

Finding your passion or purpose in life can be a daunting task. Start by exploring your interests and trying out new activities or hobbies. Reflect on what brings you joy and fulfillment. You can also talk to friends and family about your strengths and ask for their insights. Consider seeking guidance from a career counselor or taking personality and skills assessments to gain more clarity.

3. Should I follow my dreams or choose a more practical career?

This is a common dilemma for many people when deciding on a career path. It is important to strike a balance between following your dreams and being realistic. Consider if your dream career aligns with your skills and values, and if there is a market demand for it. You may also want to have a backup plan or pursue your dream career as a side hustle while still maintaining a stable job.

4. Is it too late to change career paths?

It is never too late to change career paths. Many people switch careers multiple times throughout their lives. Evaluate your current situation and determine if the change is feasible for you. Consider the skills and experiences you have acquired in your current career that may be transferable to a new one. Seek advice from professionals in your desired field and create a plan to make the transition.

5. How can I make a difference and have a meaningful career?

Making a difference and finding meaning in your career is important for many people. You can start by identifying your values and what causes you are passionate about. Look for job opportunities in industries or organizations that align with your values. You can also volunteer or participate in community service activities to make a positive impact while pursuing your career goals.