What properties do prime numbers exhibit?

In summary, prime numbers have the unique property that they are not units and if they divide a product, they must also divide one of the factors. This defining property can be used in proofs to represent prime numbers. However, there are many other properties of prime numbers that can also be used in proofs.
Faiq
Mod note: moved from a homework section
What properties do prime numbers exhibit which can be used in proofs to define them?
Like rational numbers have a unique property that they can be expressed as a quotient of a/b.
Even numbers have a unique property of divisibility by 2 and thus they can be expressed as 2x.
Similarly are there any unique properties for prime numbers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
A prime number ##p## has the following property (definition): ##p## isn't a unit and if ##p## divides a product then it divides a factor of it.
$$p \, | \, ab ⇒ p \, | \, a ∨ p \, | \, b$$
In case of integers, the units are ##±1##, so ##p \neq ±1##.

Faiq said:

Homework Statement

What properties do prime numbers exhibit which can be used in proofs to define them?
Like rational numbers have a unique property that they can be expressed as a quotient of a/b.
Even numbers have a unique property of divisibility by 2 and thus they can be expressed as 2x.
Similarly are there any unique properties for prime numbers?

I would google "prime number" and browse until you're bored. You could start here:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PrimeNumber.html

There are way too many properties of prime numbers to list all of them.

mfb said:
There are way too many properties of prime numbers to list all of them.
I am asking for properties that can help me represent a prime number when I am proving a statement

Faiq said:
I am asking for properties that can help me represent a prime number when I am proving a statement

Then you're asking for a huge list. You need to narrow down your question.

In #1 you quote unique (and in fact defining) properties of rational and even numbers as how they can be expressed. The defining property of prime numbers is how they can not be expressed. (Same as for irrational numbers.)

Related to What properties do prime numbers exhibit?

1. What are prime numbers?

Prime numbers are positive integers that are only divisible by 1 and themselves. This means that they have no other factors besides 1 and the number itself.

2. How many prime numbers are there?

There are infinitely many prime numbers. Prime numbers continue on to infinity with no pattern or limit.

3. Are there any even prime numbers?

The only even prime number is 2. This is because all other even numbers have 2 as a factor, making them not prime.

4. What is the largest known prime number?

As of 2021, the largest known prime number is 282,589,933 - 1, which has 24,862,048 digits. This number was discovered in December 2018.

5. What are some applications of prime numbers?

Prime numbers have many applications in mathematics and computer science. They are used in cryptography to create secure codes and in number theory to study patterns and relationships between numbers. They are also used in algorithms and data structures for efficient computation and data storage.