What Projects Can I Build Using Django?

• Python
  • Thread starter Avatrin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    python
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in learning Django, a web framework used for building web applications. The speaker is curious about the specific capabilities of Django and why it is in high demand among employers. They also mention wanting to replace their current website with one built using Django, as a means of gaining proficiency and showcasing their skills to potential employers. The speaker asks for broad ideas on what they can create using Django, and wonders if they can combine it with their interest in machine learning. The conversation also briefly mentions examples of companies that use Django, such as Pinterest.
Avatrin
Hi

I am having a hard time finding what specifically Django allows me to do, and why people are using it.

I am seeing a lot of places hiring people who know Django. Python is something I already use for mathematical modelling, so I want to try working with Django.

I have a website, so I want replace the Wordpress site I have there with something made with Django. There are two reasons for this:
1) Building some proficiency with Django
2) Making something I can show to a potential employer

What should I try to make?
I am also learning machine learning. Can I combine this goals with the others?

I am looking for broad ideas. Also, examples of how Django has been used in the past. I know, for instance, that Pinterest uses Django, but not for what. Heck, I barely know what Pinterest is.

Technology news on Phys.org
Avatrin said:
Hi

I am having a hard time finding what specifically Django allows me to do, and why people are using it.

I am seeing a lot of places hiring people who know Django. Python is something I already use for mathematical modelling, so I want to try working with Django.

I have a website, so I want replace the Wordpress site I have there with something made with Django. There are two reasons for this:
1) Building some proficiency with Django
2) Making something I can show to a potential employer

What should I try to make?
I am also learning machine learning. Can I combine this goals with the others?

I am looking for broad ideas. Also, examples of how Django has been used in the past. I know, for instance, that Pinterest uses Django, but not for what. Heck, I barely know what Pinterest is.

Django is a web framework, for developing web apps fast and easily. It is used (among other things), to build CMS (Content Management System(s)), so makes the task of developing a website or a web app (as this is nowadays the case for most web sites) easy, scalable, more secure and fast.

Now, if you want to use it to create your site, take a look at djangoproject, django cms and Mezzanine (open source content management platform using the jango framework). Although it would be helpful to know some things about web development, there is no actual need if you use a CMS. All you have to do, is know how you want to structure your content and how you would like your site to look (there are various templates to look for that). The "heavy" development work is done by the CMS. If you learn how to build the site, then you can combine other things (like machine learning you mention) as well.

I have not extensive experience with Django as I am a Java Enterprise and PHP developer, but from the medium experience I have on it and the professional opinions I've heard for it so far, it is definitely good.

Related to What Projects Can I Build Using Django?

1. What is Django proficiency?

Django proficiency refers to the level of knowledge and skill a person has in using the Django web framework. It involves understanding the core concepts and features of Django, as well as being able to effectively use it to build web applications.

2. How can I demonstrate my Django proficiency?

You can demonstrate your Django proficiency by building a project using the Django framework. This project should showcase your understanding of key concepts, such as models, views, templates, and URL routing. You can also provide code samples or a portfolio of previous projects built with Django.

3. What are the benefits of having Django proficiency?

Having Django proficiency can open up job opportunities in web development, as Django is a popular and in-demand framework. It also allows you to build complex and scalable web applications efficiently, saving time and effort compared to building from scratch. Additionally, Django proficiency can improve your understanding of web development and enhance your problem-solving skills.

4. How can I improve my Django proficiency?

To improve your Django proficiency, you can start by reading the official documentation and tutorials on the Django website. You can also take online courses or attend workshops to learn more about advanced features and best practices. Building projects and actively participating in the Django community can also help improve your skills.

5. Is it necessary to have Django proficiency to use the framework?

No, it is not necessary to have Django proficiency to use the framework. Django has a relatively low barrier to entry, and beginners can start building basic applications with the help of tutorials and resources available online. However, having Django proficiency can enhance your development process and allow you to build more complex and efficient applications.