What materials are best for creating fiber optics from seaweed or jelly?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of making fiber optics from seaweed or jelly. The speaker is looking for literature or journal resources on this topic for their seminar physics project. They mention that their lecture has asked them to find materials that have the least attenuation for light.
Roihan Yahya
I want to make fiber optics from seaweed or jelly..
It will be happen?
Please give me the literature or journal..
Thank you very much for helping me.. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Because my lecture ask for me to do that for my seminar physics project..
Thank you for the answer.. :)
I'm Aan from Yogyakarta State University, Indonesia..

Roihan Yahya said:
Because my lecture ask for me to do that for my seminar physics project..
Thank you for the answer.. :)
I'm Aan from Yogyakarta State University, Indonesia..

So you need to search for those materials in those categories that attenuate the light the least, right? (are the most clear to your wavelengths of light)

Related to What materials are best for creating fiber optics from seaweed or jelly?

What are fiber optics materials?

Fiber optics materials are materials that are used to construct fiber optic cables, which are used to transmit signals in the form of light. These materials include glass, plastic, and other specialized materials that have unique properties to efficiently guide and transmit light.

How do fiber optics materials work?

Fiber optics materials work by taking advantage of the principle of total internal reflection. Light is transmitted through a core of a material with a higher refractive index, surrounded by a cladding with a lower refractive index. This allows the light to be reflected and guided down the length of the fiber with minimal loss of signal.

What are the advantages of using fiber optics materials?

Fiber optics materials offer several advantages over traditional copper wiring. They have a higher bandwidth, meaning they can carry more data at faster speeds. They are also lighter, thinner, and more flexible, making them easier to install and maintain. Additionally, fiber optics materials are not affected by electromagnetic interference, making them more reliable for transmitting signals over long distances.

What types of materials are used in fiber optics?

The most commonly used materials in fiber optics are glass and plastic. Glass fibers have a higher transmission capacity and are more resistant to temperature changes, making them suitable for long-distance transmission. Plastic fibers are less expensive and more flexible, making them suitable for short-distance applications.

Are there any disadvantages to using fiber optics materials?

One potential disadvantage of using fiber optics materials is the initial cost, which can be higher than traditional copper wiring. Additionally, fiber optics cables can be more fragile and require specialized equipment for installation and maintenance. However, the benefits of using fiber optics typically outweigh these disadvantages.