What is the Y-component of T1 and T2?

In summary: So, rather than just doing what you did in post #5, explain what you think is going on and what you think you need to do.got it, so I would have to find the x-direction and y-direction for both T1 and T2.And then plug those into the equation and solve for m?Yes, that is correct. In summary, the speaker in the diagram is hanging from the ceiling by two wires, with tensions of 35N and 18.02N in wire 1 and wire 2 respectively. To find the mass of the speaker, you need to use the equations F=ma and T1sin(x)-T2sin(x), as well as the components of T1 and T
rickstarr93

Homework Statement

A speakerh angs from the ceiling by a pair of wires, as showin the diagram below. the tension in wire 1 is 35N. What is the mass of the speaker?
Given from the problem and picture.

Wire1=25 degrees
Wire2=55 degrees
Tension in wire1= 35N
Tension in wire2=18.02N

Homework Equations

F=ma
x=T1sin(x)-T2sin(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I got but didn't get full points becasue I am missing the Y component?

x=35sin(25)-T2sin(55)
T2=35sin(25)/sin55
T2=18.05

Then we used this equation
T1y+T2y-mg
0=T1y+t2y-m(9.8)
Rearange and plug in numbers:
35+18.05/9.8

m=5.41kg

She told me I am right all the way up to the last part (35+18.05/9.8) and was told I'm need the y-components..but I solved for it?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't use the y components.

You have m= (T1y+T2y)/g = (35+18.05)/9.8

i.e. T1y=35N

but are you not told that T1=35N ?
if T1y=35N as well then T1x=0N - does that make sense?

So i need to find my x-components of T2x and then have both sides equal to each other?
But if T1x=0n then that is not relative to the equation?
Sorry for the questions, I"m still a bit confused.

You need both x and y components.

Draw a free body diagram for the speaker.
Divide the forces (tensions) into components parallel and perpendicular to gravity (easiest approach).
The horizontal forces sum to zero.
The vertical forces sum to zero.

You should end up with two equations and two unknowns.

Note:
if T1x=0 then there is no x component: what direction must T1 be acting in?
Does that fit the description?

so I would have to do instead of sin, I have to use cos?

35cos(25)/cos(55)= 55.30

You should use your understanding of trigonometry and vectors to solve the problem.
In long answers, you should show your understanding by what you write.

What you wrote in post #5 reads like you have just randomly guessed that you need to change all the sines to cosines as if you have not understood anything that has been suggested before.

If you won't take suggestions, I cannot help you.
If you don't answer questions, I cannot help you.

Related to What is the Y-component of T1 and T2?

1. How do you find the mass of a speaker?

To find the mass of a speaker, you can use a scale or balance to measure its weight. Alternatively, you can also calculate its mass by multiplying its volume (determined by measuring its dimensions) by its density.

2. Why is it important to know the mass of a speaker?

Knowing the mass of a speaker is important for various reasons. It can help determine its stability and potential for movement, as well as the amount of power needed to drive it. It can also provide valuable information for acoustic design and optimization.

3. What are the units for measuring speaker mass?

The standard unit for measuring mass is kilograms (kg). However, in some cases, speakers may be measured in grams (g) or pounds (lbs).

4. Can you estimate the mass of a speaker by its size?

While the size of a speaker can give a general idea of its mass, it is not an accurate way to determine its precise mass. The density and materials used in construction can vary greatly and affect the overall mass of the speaker.

5. Does the mass of a speaker affect its sound quality?

The mass of a speaker can affect its sound quality in various ways. A heavier speaker may have better bass response and be less prone to vibrations, while a lighter speaker may be more responsive and have a wider frequency range. However, the overall design and construction of the speaker also play a significant role in its sound quality.