What Is the Velocity of a Charged Particle in a Crossed Magnetic Field?

In summary, the velocity of the charged particle to the nearest tenth of a m/s that will allow it to travel undeflected through the crossed magnetic field is 1900 m/s. However, given the original data, the answer should be 1.9 x 103 m/s.
jforce93

Homework Statement

In the figure (see attached) what is the velocity of the charged particle to the nearest tenth of a m/s that will allow it to travel undeflected through the crossed magnetic field if E = 6852 N/C and B = 3.6 T?

Homework Equations

F = E*q + q*V*B

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so this is an online physics practice thing (for Giancolli) I was assigned for AP work. It's known for giving wrong (but close) answers, so don't be afraid to tell me that I'm doing this right (or wrong). But the answer I got is very close to the answer it gave me.

Anyway, here is my attempt:

E*q = q*V*B
cross out q

E = V*B

V = E/B

E = 6852 N/C
B = 3.6 T

V = 1903.3 m/s

Thanks,

Jordan

Attachments

• mag4.gif
    mag4.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 492
Physics news on Phys.org
jforce93 said:

Homework Statement

In the figure (see attached) what is the velocity of the charged particle to the nearest tenth of a m/s that will allow it to travel undeflected through the crossed magnetic field if E = 6852 N/C and B = 3.6 T?

Homework Equations

F = E*q + q*V*B

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so this is an online physics practice thing (for Giancolli) I was assigned for AP work. It's known for giving wrong (but close) answers, so don't be afraid to tell me that I'm doing this right (or wrong). But the answer I got is very close to the answer it gave me.

Anyway, here is my attempt:

E*q = q*V*B
cross out q

E = V*B

V = E/B

E = 6852 N/C
B = 3.6 T

V = 1903.3 m/s

Thanks,

Jordan

Calculations look OK. Given the original data - especially the B = 3.6 - it indicates you should only give your answer to 2 figures, so 1.9 x 103 m/s

note that 1900 m/s is not correct, because if you, even mistakenly, decide to give too many figures, those extra figures have to be correct.

PeterO said:
Calculations look OK. Given the original data - especially the B = 3.6 - it indicates you should only give your answer to 2 figures, so 1.9 x 103 m/s

note that 1900 m/s is not correct, because if you, even mistakenly, decide to give too many figures, those extra figures have to be correct.

Thanks!
And the online thing doesn't let us (for most questions) put in scientific notation

jforce93 said:
Thanks!
And the online thing doesn't let us (for most questions) put in scientific notation

In that case, 1900 might be "their" form of 1.9 x 103

I appreciate your approach to solving this problem and your acknowledgement of potential incorrect answers from the online practice tool. Your solution is correct and your calculation shows a good understanding of the equation and how to manipulate it to solve for the velocity of the charged particle. Well done! It is always important to double check your answers and be aware of potential sources of error. Keep up the good work!

Related to What Is the Velocity of a Charged Particle in a Crossed Magnetic Field?

1. What is a velocity filter?

A velocity filter is a device used in scientific experiments to select particles with a specific velocity from a beam of particles. It is commonly used in particle accelerators to separate particles based on their speed.

2. How does a velocity filter work?

A velocity filter works by using a combination of electric and magnetic fields to manipulate the path of particles in a beam. The electric field accelerates the particles, while the magnetic field deflects them based on their velocity. This allows particles with the desired velocity to pass through the filter while others are rejected.

3. What types of particles can be filtered using a velocity filter?

A velocity filter can be used to filter a wide range of particles, including electrons, protons, neutrons, and ions. It is also capable of filtering particles with different masses and charges, making it a versatile tool in scientific research.

4. What are the advantages of using a velocity filter?

The main advantage of using a velocity filter is its ability to select particles with a specific velocity from a beam of particles. This is useful in experiments that require precise control over the speed of particles. Additionally, velocity filters are relatively simple and cost-effective compared to other particle selection methods.

5. Are there any limitations to using a velocity filter?

One limitation of using a velocity filter is that it can only filter particles with a narrow range of velocities. This means that particles with very high or low speeds may not be effectively filtered. Additionally, the accuracy of the filter may be affected by external factors such as temperature and magnetic field fluctuations.