What is the total number of possible license codes

• Thread starter danago
  • Start date
In summary, there are 13 possible combinations of numbers with a sum of 9, which can be calculated by setting the first digit and finding the number of possible combinations for the remaining two digits based on the given pattern.
danago
Gold Member
A license code is composed of 3 letters and 3 numbers. The sum of the 3 numbers is 9. How many possible codes are there?

Im really stuck with the requirement that the sum of the digits is 9. I tried making a table and concluded that there were 13 possible combinations of numbers that had the sum of 9, although i did it in a rush, so I am not to confident with my result. How should i calculate the number of combinations of numbers that add to 9? Once i know how to do this, i think i should be alright in finishing the question.

Thanks in advance.
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the first digit is 9, the second one must be zero (always set the third digit to 9 minus the sum of the first two). If the first digit is 8, the second can be 0 or 1. If first is 7, second is 0,1,2. See the pattern? How many total?

Once you have chosen two of the digits, the requirement that the sum be 9 forces the last digit. You have only two choices of digits, not 3.

Related to What is the total number of possible license codes

1. What is a license code?

A license code is a unique combination of letters, numbers, or symbols that is used to activate or register a software product. It is typically provided by the software developer and is required to access all the features of the software.

2. How many different license codes are there?

The total number of possible license codes depends on the length and complexity of the code. For example, a 6-digit code using only numbers can have up to 1 million possible combinations, while a 6-character code using letters and numbers can have over 2 billion possible combinations.

3. Can license codes be duplicated?

It is possible for license codes to be duplicated, especially if they are randomly generated. However, software developers typically keep track of the codes they have issued to avoid duplicates. Additionally, many software products have a limit on the number of times a license code can be used.

4. Can license codes be cracked or hacked?

License codes are designed to be difficult to crack or hack, but it is not impossible. However, it is illegal to attempt to crack or hack a license code, and it can result in severe consequences. It is important to purchase software from reputable sources to ensure that the license code is legitimate.

5. How do I obtain a license code?

A license code is typically provided by the software developer upon purchase of the software. It may be included in the packaging, sent via email, or displayed after an online purchase. Some software may also offer trial versions with limited features and require a license code to unlock the full version.