What is the sum of the angles in a right triangle?

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
In summary, the sum of the angles in a right triangle is always 180 degrees. To find the sum, you can use the formula 180 - a - b, where a and b are the measures of the two acute angles. This is a property of all triangles, not just right triangles, known as the Triangle Sum Theorem. It is not possible for the sum to be greater than 180 degrees, and this knowledge is useful in various real-life applications such as engineering, architecture, and navigation.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----

Given that \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{35} \sin 5k=\tan \dfrac{a}{b}\), where angles are measured in degrees and $a$ and $b$ are relatively prime positive integers that satisfy $\dfrac{a}{b}<90$, evaluate $a+b$.

-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations to the following members for their correct solution: (Smile)

1. castor28
2. lfdahl
3. greg1313
4. kaliprasad

Solution from lfdahl:
By Lagrange´s trigonometric identities (angles in degrees), we get

\[\sum_{k=1}^{35}\sin (5k) = \frac{1}{2}\cot \left ( \frac{5}{2} \right )-\frac{\cos \left ( 175 + \frac{5}{2} \right )}{\sin \left ( \frac{5}{2} \right )} = \tan \left ( \frac{175}{2} \right )\]

Since $2$ and $175$ are coprimes and $\frac{175}{2} < 90$, we can conclude that $a + b = 177$.

Alternate solution from castor28:
Let us write $\alpha=5\mbox{°}=\pi/36$ and $\theta=e^{i\alpha}=\cos\alpha+i\cdot\sin\alpha$.
The sum is the imaginary part of $\displaystyle S = \sum_{k=1}^{35}{\theta^k}$. (Actually, because of the symmetry of the pattern with respect to the $y$-axis, $S$ is pure imaginary, and we only need $S/i$).
As the terms of $S$ constitute a geometric progression, we have:

$$\begin{align*}
S &= \frac{\theta^{36}-\theta}{\theta-1}\\
&= \frac{-1-e^{i\alpha}}{e^{i\alpha}-1}\quad\text{because }\theta^{36}=e^{i\pi}=-1\\
&= -\frac{e^{i\alpha/2}+e^{-i\alpha/2}}{e^{i\alpha/2}-e^{-i\alpha/2}}\\
&= i\cot\alpha/2 = i\cot2.5\mbox{°}\\
&= i\tan87.5\mbox{°}
\end{align*}$$

This gives $a=175$, $b=2$ and $a+b=177$

Related to What is the sum of the angles in a right triangle?

What is the sum of the angles in a right triangle?

The sum of the angles in a right triangle is always 180 degrees.

How do you find the sum of the angles in a right triangle?

To find the sum of the angles in a right triangle, you can use the formula 180 - a - b, where a and b are the measures of the two acute angles.

Why is the sum of the angles in a right triangle always 180 degrees?

This is a property of all triangles, not just right triangles. In any triangle, the sum of the angles is always 180 degrees. This is known as the Triangle Sum Theorem.

Can the sum of the angles in a right triangle be greater than 180 degrees?

No, the sum of the angles in a right triangle can never be greater than 180 degrees. This is a fundamental property of a right triangle.

Is there a real-life application for knowing the sum of the angles in a right triangle?

Yes, knowing the sum of the angles in a right triangle is useful in fields such as engineering, architecture, and navigation. It allows us to calculate and measure angles accurately, which is important in designing and building structures or determining directions and distances.