What is the sum of n^2/n from 1 to infinity?

In summary, Ray's sum (to be differentiated) is: \displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^\infty\frac{x^{k+1}}{k!}\displaystyle =x\sum_{k=0}^\infty\frac{x^{k}}{k!}=xe^xand d/dx(xex), evaluated at x=1 is 2e.Thanks a lot everyone, this was really helpful.
upsidedowntop

Homework Statement

[itex]\sum_1^\infty \frac{n^2}{n!} = [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Context: practice Math GRE question I don't know how to answer.

Well, it's bigger than e and converges by the ratio test. Adding up the first 5 or 6 terms suggests that it converges to 2e. That's good enough for a standardized test, but I'd like to know how to handle this series legitimately.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
It does converge to 2e (by wolfram alpha), but I'm not sure how to derive it.

Is [itex]\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{n}{(n-1)!} [/itex] any easier ?

upsidedowntop said:

Homework Statement

[itex]\sum_1^\infty \frac{n^2}{n!} = [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Context: practice Math GRE question I don't know how to answer.

Well, it's bigger than e and converges by the ratio test. Adding up the first 5 or 6 terms suggests that it converges to 2e. That's good enough for a standardized test, but I'd like to know how to handle this series legitimately.

Thanks in advance for any help.

n^2/n! = n/(n-1)!, so your sum = sum_{n=1..inf} n/(n-1)! = sum_{k=0..inf} (k+1)/k!. Look at (d/dx) sum_{k=0..inf} x^(k+1)/k! .

RGV

Thank you Sammy and Ray, I have it now. In case anyone is curious:

[itex]
\sum_1^\infty \frac{n^2}{n!}

= \sum_0^\infty \frac{k+1}{k!}

= lim_{m \to \infty} (p_m + p_{m-1})
[/itex]
where [itex] p_k = \sum_0^m 1/k! [/itex] .
And that limit is 2e.

Ray, I see that that derivative, evaluated at 1, is equal to our series. But what good does that do?

You can look at this in stages:

What is [itex] \frac{n}{n!} [/itex] equal to?

Then what is [itex] \sum_1^\infty \frac{n}{n!} [/itex] equal to? (It will help to keep in mind the infinite series for e .)

Next, what is [itex] \frac{n (n-1)}{n!} [/itex] equal to? (Write it two different ways: by cancelling terms in numerator and denominator and by simply multiplying out the numerator.)

Then what would [itex] \sum_2^\infty\frac{n (n-1)}{n!} [/itex] equal? (It may help at any of these stages to write out the first few terms of the series.)

You can now add your result for [itex] \sum_1^\infty \frac{n}{n!} [/itex] to your new result to find [itex] \sum_1^\infty \frac{n^2}{n!} [/itex] .

(You could also use this iteratively to find a general result for [itex] \sum_1^\infty \frac{n^p}{n!} [/itex] .)

Last edited:
upsidedowntop said:
Thank you Sammy and Ray, I have it now. In case anyone is curious:

And that limit is 2e.

Ray, I see that that derivative, evaluated at 1, is equal to our series. But what good does that do?
Ray's sum (to be differentiated) is: [itex]\displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^\infty\frac{x^{k+1}}{k!}[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle =x\sum_{k=0}^\infty\frac{x^{k}}{k!}[/itex]

[itex]=xe^x[/itex]
d/dx(xex), evaluated at x=1 is 2e .

Thanks a lot everyone, this was really helpful.

Regarding the question I just asked, which Sammy just answered, thanks. I was asking myself what function
[itex]\displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^\infty\frac{x^{k+1}}{k!}[/itex]
was a power series for, but for some reason it wasn't clicking. I guess I'm pretty rusty with this sort of thing.

Related to What is the sum of n^2/n from 1 to infinity?

1. What does the "n" represent in the equation "Sum n^2/n from 1 to infinity"?

The "n" represents the individual terms in the series. For example, when n = 1, the first term in the series is 1^2/1, when n = 2, the second term is 2^2/2, and so on.

2. Why is the upper limit of the summation "infinity"?

The upper limit of infinity is used because the series continues indefinitely, meaning there is no fixed number of terms. This is known as an infinite series.

3. What is the purpose of the summation notation in this equation?

The summation notation is a compact way to represent a series. It indicates that the terms are being added up, starting from the first term (n=1) and continuing to infinity.

4. How is the sum of this series calculated?

The sum of this series is calculated using a mathematical formula. In this case, it is the sum of a geometric series, which can be solved using the formula S = a/(1-r), where "a" is the first term in the series and "r" is the common ratio between terms.

5. Can the sum of this series be expressed as a finite number?

No, the sum of this series cannot be expressed as a finite number because it is an infinite series. However, it does converge to a specific value, which can be approximated using mathematical techniques.