What is the solution for the attached equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses a potentially solvable equation involving a function I(z). Various approaches are suggested, including deriving an ordinary differential equation and constructing power series.
eahaidar
Good afternoon,
i was just wondering if this equation is possibly solvable where I(z) is a function of z. The equation is:
I(z)=cosh(1/2 ∫I(z)dz)
I know it looks stupid but is it possible? How would you approach this problem?
Thank you.

Attachments

• eq.png
    eq.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 424
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Try to derive both side with respect to z. This will give you an ordinary differential equation. Then try to solve it in another way.

Thanks for the response. However I get hyperbolic sinh which just makes it much worse. :(

Maybe first set $$arcosh(I(z))=\frac {1}{2} \int_z^L I(x)dx $$ and then take the derivate?

eahaidar said:
Thanks for the response. However I get hyperbolic sinh which just makes it much worse. :(

If you introduce [tex]J(z) = \sinh\left(\frac12 \int I(z)\,dz\right)[/tex] then you can get the two-dimensional system [tex]
I' = \frac12 IJ \\
J' = \frac12 I^2
[/tex] which can be solved numerically subject to given initial conditions (which, like cosh and sinh, must satisfy [itex]I(0)^2 - J(0)^2 = 1[/itex]). Alternatively, you can construct power series iteratively by starting with [itex]I_0(z) = I(0)[/itex], [itex]J_0(z) = J(0)[/itex] and using the recurrence relation [tex]
I_{n+1}(z) = I(0) + \frac12 \int_0^z I_n(t)J_n(t)\,dt, \\
J_{n+1}(z) = J(0) + \frac12 \int_0^z I_n^2(t)\,dt.[/tex]

Related to What is the solution for the attached equation?

1. What is the attached equation?

The attached equation refers to a mathematical expression that is included or attached to a given problem or question.

2. What is the solution to the attached equation?

The solution to an equation refers to the value or values that satisfy the equation and make it true. In other words, it is the answer or solution to the given mathematical problem.

3. How do you solve the attached equation?

The specific method for solving an equation will depend on the type of equation. Generally, you will need to manipulate the given equation using mathematical operations to isolate the unknown variable and find its value.

4. Are there multiple solutions to the attached equation?

It is possible for an equation to have one, multiple, or no solutions. This depends on the nature of the equation and the values of the variables involved. It is important to carefully analyze the equation and its given conditions to determine the number of solutions.

5. Can you provide an example of solving the attached equation?

Sure, here is an example: Given the equation 2x + 5 = 15, we need to find the value of x that makes the equation true. To solve this, we can subtract 5 from both sides to isolate the variable, so 2x = 10. Then, we divide both sides by 2 to get x = 5. Therefore, the solution to this equation is x = 5.