What is the significance of a minus sign in kinematics equations?

In summary: The minus sign just indicates direction, so you shouldn't even worry about it.Realize (to repeat myself a bit more clearly) that your ar is positive means...what? The minus sign just indicates direction, so you shouldn't even worry about it.In summary, the conversation revolves around the calculation of angular speed and the use of negative signs in the equation ##a_r = - r \dot{\theta}^2##. The expert advises understanding the meaning of the negative sign and using the formula ##a_r = \omega^2 r## instead. The expert also emphasizes the importance of fully understanding the concepts and equations before plugging in values.
Bauxiet

Homework Statement

I have chosen my axis as you can see on the picture. To the left, it is the positive 'r'-axis, up is the positive 'y'-axis. I have to calculate the angular speed. My solution is correct, but I'm getting into trouble at the end. I have to take the roots of the last equation to become the angular speed. Because my acceleration 'ar' is positive, I become a negatif number so I can't take the root. What am I doing wrong?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

YwxHKYw.png

JfOC0sf.png

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bauxiet said:
I have to calculate the angular speed.
Can you provide a statement of the problem?

If the original statement is not in English, I suggest that you tell us both the original statement (in whatever language it's in), and then your attempt at translating it. That would be useful if someone reads this, who knows your language.

Sorry thought the question was in the picture.

The question is, calculate the angular speed so that r = 0,72 m. Everything else that you need is in the picture.
The spring is 0,4 m long in rest. Spring constant is in the picture.

Thanks guys!

Shouldn't we have the mass?

Bauxiet said:
Because my acceleration 'ar' is positive, I become a negatif number so I can't take the root. What am I doing wrong?
It's difficult to see what you're doing that leads you to try to take the square root of a negative number.

The force and the acceleration all point to the left (in your diagram). No need for any negative numbers. (Or if you use them, they will cancel out.)

http://blob:http%3A//imgur.com/fe849a41-c1e6-4557-98ab-d2fc40a81c18
42OFqZj.png

I have to put my acceleration, calculated out of the free body diagram, in the ar = ... equation. Since my ar is positive and r(double point) = 0, I can't take the root to find my angular acceleration. If something is not clear enough, just say me. Thanks!

EDIT: The mass is 3 kg.

Bauxiet said:
I have to put my acceleration, calculated out of the free body diagram, in the ar = ... equation. Since my ar is positive and r(double point) = 0, I can't take the root to find my angular acceleration.
The negative sign in the equation ##a_r = - r \dot{\theta}^2## just indicates the direction of the acceleration, which is centripetal. When doing your calculation, you'll set the magnitude of the acceleration equal to ## r \dot{\theta}^2## and leave off the minus sign.

Doc Al said:
The negative sign in the equation ##a_r = - r \dot{\theta}^2## just indicates the direction of the acceleration, which is centripetal. When doing your calculation, you'll set the magnitude of the acceleration equal to ## r \dot{\theta}^2## and leave off the minus sign.

Thank you. But how do I know this? Is 'r' a vector? I see the formulas just as a formula where I have to fill in my value of something without changing signs in the formula. How do I know when I can change a value? Maybe this is a weird question, but I want to get the bigger view. Thank you

Bauxiet said:
Thank you. But how do I know this? Is 'r' a vector? I see the formulas just as a formula where I have to fill in my value of something without changing signs in the formula. How do I know when I can change a value? Maybe this is a weird question, but I want to get the bigger view. Thank you
You should not just plug numbers into a formula blindly without first understanding what it means. ar is a component, which can be negative or positive depending on the direction. In this case, the negative sign tells you that the direction is negative (which is toward the axis).

Doc Al said:
You should not just plug numbers into a formula blindly without first understanding what it means. ar is a component, which can be negative or positive depending on the direction. In this case, the negative sign tells you that the direction is negative (which is toward the axis).

Yes indeed, I know that the acceleration sign is - or + if a result is negatif, it is poiting in the other direction. But in this case, my ar was positive. How did I know that the right part of the equation to calculate the angular speed must be positive and NOT negative? This is not the acceleration ... Do you understand me?

Or on another view. Because my ar is positive, the right part SHOULD be also positive so I can remove the minus sign? It sound weird to me.

Bauxiet said:
Yes indeed, I know that the acceleration sign is - or + if a result is negatif, it is poiting in the other direction. But in this case, my ar was positive. How did I know that the right part of the equation to calculate the angular speed must be positive and NOT negative? This is not the acceleration ... Do you understand me?
The way I look at it is this. You solved for the acceleration using Newton's 2nd law and a force analysis. Then you used an expression for centripetal acceleration. I would have used ##a_r = \omega^2 r##. The only reason your expression has a minus sign is that you are "borrowing" from a more elaborate treatment of cylindrical coordinates and the signs indicate direction. No real need for that if you know the formula for centripetal acceleration in terms of ω.

Whenever a minus sign appears in a formula, you need to understand what it means. Here it just shows direction, since we're discussing components of vectors. (By the way, if you consistently used a minus sign to indicate "left" then your value for force and acceleration would also have been negative, and thus the negative signs would have canceled out.)

Bauxiet said:
Or on another view. Because my ar is positive, the right part SHOULD be also positive so I can remove the minus sign? It sound weird to me.
Realize (to repeat myself a bit more clearly) that your ar is positive means that you are using a sign convention where left is positive. But the formula you grabbed for the centripetal acceleration uses the opposite sign convention.

Doc Al said:
Whenever a minus sign appears in a formula, you need to understand what it means. Here it just shows direction, since we're discussing components of vectors.

Plus or minus sign gives you the directional sense (or sense) of the vector. The direction of the vector's line of action can be spelled out in a diagram or represented by a unit vector in a Cartesian coordinate system.

Likes Doc Al

Related to What is the significance of a minus sign in kinematics equations?

What is kinematics angular speed?

Kinematics angular speed is the measure of how fast an object rotates around a fixed point or axis. It is commonly denoted by the symbol ω (omega) and is measured in radians per second (rad/s).

How is kinematics angular speed related to linear speed?

Kinematics angular speed is directly proportional to linear speed and the radius of rotation. This means that as the angular speed increases, the linear speed also increases, and vice versa.

What is the difference between angular speed and angular velocity?

Angular speed refers to the rate at which an object rotates, while angular velocity also includes the direction of rotation. In other words, angular velocity takes into account both the magnitude and direction of angular speed.

How is kinematics angular speed calculated?

Kinematics angular speed can be calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. It can also be calculated by dividing the linear speed by the radius of rotation.

What are some real-life examples of kinematics angular speed?

Some real-life examples of kinematics angular speed include the rotation of a Ferris wheel, the spinning of a top, and the movement of a wind turbine. It is also used in sports such as figure skating and gymnastics to measure the speed of a rotation.