What Is the Shape of the Universe?

In summary, the universe does not have a 3 dimensional shape per se. Rather it has a 4-dimensional topology. Depending on the value of the cosmological constant it may be flat or curved on very large scales. It doesn't seem like, from a topological perspective, we'd be able to differentiate a smooth, spherically shaped universe from a smooth, flat universe. However, if the universe is expanding, then it would be impossible for the universe to return to a previous time frame for the same reason that if I leave New York and fly around the world back to New York, it would not be the same place when I returned.
Wizardsblade
Does anyone know what shape the universe is? I.e. a sphere, or an eliptical sphere? and is that the observed shape of the shape after relativity calculation?

Space news on Phys.org
The universe does not have a 3 dimensional shape per se. Rather it has a 4-dimensional topology. Depending on the value of the cosmological constant it may be flat or curved on very large scales (it is currently believed to be very very close to being flat due to inflation).

It doesn't seem like, from a topological perspective, we'd be able to differentiate a smooth, spherically shaped universe from a smooth, flat universe.

I understand the bit about the effect of the cosmological constant, but what perplexes me is why we think the universe is flat versus spherical (although I admit I have no idea what a beyond-3d sphere would look like), especially if there are long distance curves.

How is this different from a purely topologic view of the Earth - where it can be drawn either flat or on a globe, but the spherical globe is the actual shape?

Last edited:
The fourth dimension being time, a four-dimensionally spherical universe would keep coming back to the same point in time over and over (repeating its entire history). So, a 4-D sphere looks a lot like a loping video.

"The fourth dimension being time, a four-dimensionally spherical universe would keep coming back to the same point in time over and over (repeating its entire history). So, a 4-D sphere looks a lot like a loping video."

I don't see how this would be the case given a dynamic universe. If the universe is expanding, then it would be impossible for the universe to return to a previous time frame for the same reason that if I leave New York and fly around the world back to New York, it would not be the same place when I returned as when I left.

But stepping back from all of that, is it even correct to talk about the 4d universe having a shape? How can time have a particular shape? The time period from ancient Rome to the present day isn't in the form of a shape. Maybe I'm being too literal though. If the question "what is the shape of a 4d universe" is asked in the same way as "which direction is the arrow of time pointing" maybe shape is just a metaphor.

In that case though, we'd still be able to identify necessary components of a 4d universe, right?

It'd have to be roughly uniform - since the progression of universal time (whatever that is) moves in all directions equally. And if that is the case, the universe would have to have more "spherical" properties than linear ones, right - because the universe would be expanding from one point outward in all directions, thus negating any sort of right-to-left or left-to-right time progression from oldest to youngest.

But it seems reasonable that there is little but a semantic difference between an expanding "flat" universe and an expanding "spherical" universe.

jhe1984 said:
It doesn't seem like, from a topological perspective, we'd be able to differentiate a smooth, spherically shaped universe from a smooth, flat universe.

I understand the bit about the effect of the cosmological constant, but what perplexes me is why we think the universe is flat versus spherical (although I admit I have no idea what a beyond-3d sphere would look like), especially if there are long distance curves.

How is this different from a purely topologic view of the Earth - where it can be drawn either flat or on a globe, but the spherical globe is the actual shape?

I think you're mixing 4D and 3D here and it doesn't work. Its likely that in a 3D sense, the matter forms a sphere, assuming roughly uniform expansion in all directions. If the universe is topologically flat on large scales, this just means that if you head off in one direction, you keep going in that way, you don't wind up back where you started (anyone more familiar with differential geometry or topology can feel free to chime in and correct me if I'm mistaken).

Related to What Is the Shape of the Universe?

1. What is the shape of the known universe?

The shape of the known universe is thought to be flat, based on observations and measurements made by the Planck space telescope. This means that the universe has a constant curvature and will continue to expand forever.

2. How do we know the shape of the universe?

Scientists have used various methods such as cosmic microwave background radiation, supernova observations, and galaxy mapping to determine the shape of the universe. These methods provide evidence for a flat universe.

3. Is the shape of the universe the same everywhere?

According to the current understanding, the shape of the universe is the same everywhere. However, the distribution of matter and energy may vary in different regions, leading to differences in the observed structures.

4. What other shapes have been proposed for the universe?

Other proposed shapes for the universe include a closed universe, which curves back on itself like a sphere, and an open universe, which has a negative curvature and will continue to expand forever at an increasing rate.

5. Can the shape of the universe change?

The shape of the universe is believed to be constant, but it is possible that it could change in the distant future due to the effects of dark energy. However, this is still a topic of ongoing research and debate among scientists.