What is the set notation for a sequence with a common difference of 3/4?

In summary: So basically , ##\{3n/4 : n \in Z\}## is the shortest way to describe the set with a set notation?Yes, that is correct.
reenmachine
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The book I'm reading ask me to build a set notation for the following set: ##\{-3/2 , -3/4 , 0 , 3/4 , 3/2 , 9/4 , 3 , 15/4 \}##.

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to build a set notation and came with the result:

##\{ x \in R : \exists y\in Z \ \ y(3/4)= x\}##

My idea is that the sequence is always +3/4 or -3/4 , therefore any number in Z multiplied by 3/4 will be an element of the set we're trying to notate.

Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
reenmachine said:

Homework Statement

The book I'm reading ask me to build a set notation for the following set: ##\{-3/2 , -3/4 , 0 , 3/4 , 3/2 , 9/4 , 3 , 15/4 \}##.

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to build a set notation and came with the result:

##\{ x \in R : \exists y\in Z \ \ y(3/4)= x\}##

My idea is that the sequence is always +3/4 or -3/4 , therefore any number in Z multiplied by 3/4 will be an element of the set we're trying to notate.

Thank you for your help!

That's true enough, but the set your notation describes has an infinite number of elements. The original set you wrote down has only 8 elements. Your notation should be a little more specific. Or does the set you are trying to construct also have an infinite number of elements and you only showed 8 of them without a '...'?

There's also a way to simplify the notation. Fix the issue that Dick mentioned first, and then try to think of a way to simplify the notation.

Fredrik said:
There's also a way to simplify the notation. Fix the issue that Dick mentioned first, and then try to think of a way to simplify the notation.

I agree. But I think the set reenmachine wants to describe probably has more than 8 elements. I was just trying to clear that up. It's not all that useful to describe small finite sets using set builder notation. Otherwise why not write {x:x∈{−3/2,−3/4,0,3/4,3/2,9/4,3,15/4}}?

My apologies for the other thread , thought this one didn't work my computer crashed or something.

I made a mistake , the set I was supposed to find a notation for was the set ##\{... , -3/2 , -3/4 , 0 , 3/4 , 3/2 , 9/4 , 3 , 15/4 , ...\}##.

To simplify it , I could try: ##\{ n \in Z : n(3/4)\}## ?

reenmachine said:
My apologies for the other thread , thought this one didn't work my computer crashed or something.

I made a mistake , the set I was supposed to find a notation for was the set ##\{... , -3/2 , -3/4 , 0 , 3/4 , 3/2 , 9/4 , 3 , 15/4 , ...\}##.

To simplify it , I could try: ##\{ n \in Z : n(3/4)\}## ?
It would be {3n/4 : n ##\in## Z}

Mark44 said:
It would be {3n/4 : n ##\in## Z}

Is there really a difference? If so , is it the left-right factor or is it ##3n/4## versus the ##n(3/4)##?

reenmachine said:
Is there really a difference?

{n∈Z:n(3/4)} doesn't mean anything. What follows the ':' is supposed to be a true/false statement.

Dick said:
{n∈Z:n(3/4)} doesn't mean anything. What follows the ':' is supposed to be a true/false statement.

Ok , in that case , is ##\{ n(3/4) : n \in Z\}## the same as ##\{ 3n/4 : n \in Z\}##?

reenmachine said:
Ok , in that case , is ##\{ n(3/4) : n \in Z\}## the same as ##\{ 3n/4 : n \in Z\}##?

Sure it is. 3n/4=(3/4)n. Isn't it?

Yes, but written in a slightly different way. I reversed the order of things in what I wrote for the reason that Dick said.

Thanks guys!

So basically , ##\{3n/4 : n \in Z\}## is the shortest way to describe the set with a set notation?

reenmachine said:
Thanks guys!

So basically , ##\{3n/4 : n \in Z\}## is the shortest way to describe the set with a set notation?

I would say, yes.

Thanks guys!

Related to What is the set notation for a sequence with a common difference of 3/4?

1. What is set notation and why is it important in science?

Set notation is a mathematical language used to describe collections of objects or elements. In science, it is important because it allows us to clearly and precisely define the elements in a set, which is crucial for conducting experiments and analyzing data.

2. How do you read and interpret set notation?

Set notation is read from left to right, with the elements of the set enclosed in curly brackets. The vertical bar "|" is used to separate the elements from the rest of the notation. For example, the set of all even numbers can be written as {x | x is an even number}.

3. What are the common symbols used in set notation?

Some of the common symbols used in set notation include "∈" to denote "belongs to", "⊂" to denote "subset", and "∩" to denote "intersection". It is important to familiarize yourself with these symbols in order to read and write set notation correctly.

4. How do you represent the empty set in set notation?

The empty set, which contains no elements, is represented by the symbol "∅" or by using curly brackets with no elements inside, {}.

5. Can set notation be used for infinite sets?

Yes, set notation can be used for both finite and infinite sets. For infinite sets, we use ellipses ("...") to indicate that the pattern continues indefinitely. For example, the set of all positive even numbers can be written as {2, 4, 6, ...}.