What is the problem with GR and quantum

• Thread starter woodysooner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gr Quantum
In summary, the underlying problem between general relativity and quantum mechanics lies in their mathematical incompatibility when used together, resulting in nonsensical solutions. While general relativity describes things in a smooth space-time continuum, quantum mechanics introduces uncertainty and discontinuities in particle trajectories. A theory of quantum gravity that combines both theories will require a subtle blend of these two concepts. Additionally, time plays a fundamental role in both theories and cannot be removed from the equation.
woodysooner
can anyone well versed in both GR and quantum explain to me the very underlying problems with these to theories, and if time was not a factor ie... time was not as GR explains, would that solve any problems. To my knowledge time is the result of the geometry of the universe, as in theory, what if time is the fabric of the universe the sheet that all rests on, and mass lies on this sheet and allows space to exist and motion. Motion and the time sheet is the only thing that allows time intervals to be seen, no motion no time, sounds crazy but using a thought experiment totally shows the legitimacy, imagine a 3 dimensitional block no imagine two things lying in the same point in time, at A. now if two masses take off from that point one traveling faster one slower. the faster takes a more angled down approach in time, and as the limit of motion approaches that of C , theta of the angle down would reach 180 degrees meaning no times interval can be seen, whereas a slow objects would move near a straight line on the time sheet. all the effects or consequences of GR that i know of i can explain with this aspect, many of you may voice that this is same thing as norman but i don't think it is. its not anymore that we look at the change in motion with respect of tiime its the opposite we watch for the change in time with respect to motion. I think motion is the only way we can see what time is or shalli say a time interval. this isn't theory development or anything just want some clarifications so please don't warn me or anything. but taking time out of the equation would this help out with quantum problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
no idea? Sorry to bug yall?

no more bothering yall but i will refine the question to just this, "what is the difficulty on squaring quantum with GR" that's it.

The problem is a mathematical one. When both theories have to be used together (e.g. inside a black hole), the solutions are mathematically nonsensical.

Quantum mechanics describes things in flat space-time with a wave function that lives in Hilbert space. General relativity describes things in space-time with a stress-energy tensor that determines the curvature of space-time. Because of the dispersion ("uncertainty") relations, quantum particles do not have smooth or even continuous trajectories. General relativity assumes smooth trajectories. To get a theory of quantum gravity that approximates both general relativity and quantum mechanics, will take a subtle blend of the continuous and discontinuous.

woodysooner said:
can anyone well versed in both GR and quantum explain to me the very underlying problems with these to theories, and if time was not a factor ie... time was not as GR explains, would that solve any problems.

Theory of Relativity gives times the same role that coordinates used to have for the last 350 years.That is to say,the introduction of space-time continuum made things fair.Time has had this role and apparently any of the existing theories and most probably none of the next will change it.

woodysooner said:
To my knowledge time is the result of the geometry of the universe, as in theory, what if time is the fabric of the universe the sheet that all rests on, and mass lies on this sheet and allows space to exist and motion.

I'm notmaking head or tail of what you're saying here.Time is merely a coordinate.Mass lies on the mass shell which is nothing but a 3D hypersurface in Minkowski space.The part with "allows space to exist" looks weird,and i mean "weird"... :rolleyes:
woodysooner said:
Motion and the time sheet is the only thing that allows time intervals to be seen, no motion no time, sounds crazy but using a thought experiment totally shows the legitimacy, imagine a 3 dimensitional block no imagine two things lying in the same point in time, at A. now if two masses take off from that point one traveling faster one slower. the faster takes a more angled down approach in time, and as the limit of motion approaches that of C , theta of the angle down would reach 180 degrees meaning no times interval can be seen, whereas a slow objects would move near a straight line on the time sheet. all the effects or consequences of GR that i know of i can explain with this aspect, many of you may voice that this is same thing as norman but i don't think it is. its not anymore that we look at the change in motion with respect of tiime its the opposite we watch for the change in time with respect to motion. I think motion is the only way we can see what time is or shalli say a time interval. this isn't theory development or anything just want some clarifications so please don't warn me or anything. but taking time out of the equation would this help out with quantum problems.

Those are purely fantasmagorical thoughts/ideas.I suggest you temper your imagination and feed her with some math and physics.

Daniel.

sorry daniel, the whole gives chance to exist part, moreless higgs boson stuff right.

and rob, so the discontinuities in trajectories can't pan out with GR, correct?

how would quantum gravity help, would the gravitron supposedly be able to make sense of these discontinuties.

woodysooner said:
and rob, so the discontinuities in trajectories can't pan out with GR, correct?

how would quantum gravity help, would the gravitron supposedly be able to make sense of these discontinuties.

Yes and No

Related to What is the problem with GR and quantum

1. What is the main conflict between general relativity and quantum mechanics?

The main conflict between general relativity (GR) and quantum mechanics (QM) is that they have different theoretical frameworks and mathematical descriptions of the universe. GR explains the behavior of large-scale objects and their interactions through the theory of gravity, while QM describes the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions through the principles of quantum mechanics.

2. Why is it difficult to reconcile GR and QM?

It is difficult to reconcile GR and QM because they have fundamental differences in their approach to understanding the universe. GR is a classical theory that follows the laws of cause and effect, while QM is a probabilistic theory that allows for uncertainty and randomness. Additionally, the mathematical formulations of GR and QM are incompatible and cannot be combined successfully to describe all phenomena in the universe.

3. Can GR and QM be unified into one theory?

Many scientists and theorists have attempted to unify GR and QM into a single theory, known as a theory of everything. However, so far, no successful theory has been developed that can fully reconcile the two theories and explain all known phenomena in the universe.

4. How does the problem with GR and QM impact our understanding of the universe?

The problem with GR and QM has a significant impact on our understanding of the universe because it limits our ability to explain and predict phenomena at both the macroscopic and microscopic levels. It also highlights the gaps in our current understanding of the fundamental laws of nature and the need for further research and development of new theories.

5. Are there any possible solutions to the problem with GR and QM?

Scientists are continually working on theories and models that attempt to bridge the gap between GR and QM. Some proposed solutions include string theory, loop quantum gravity, and supersymmetry. However, these theories are still in their early stages, and more research and testing are needed to determine their validity.