What is the Possibility of Habitable Planets Around Brown Dwarfs?

• I
  • Thread starter DiamondTiara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planets
DiamondTiara
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
What would planets around Brown Dwarfs be like?
I have not seen a whole lot on this topic, so I'm just going to ask a few general questions here that have crossed my mind recently. Habitable meaning, of similar temperature to that of the Earth.

1 - What would we expect habitable planets around Brown Dwarfs to be like?
2 - What types of Brown Dwarf stars would be more conductive to having habitable planets?
3 - What would the view / sky from the surface of such planets look like?
4 - What types of planetary systems would Brown Dwarfs be expected to have?
5 - Would Y Dwarf stars be capable of having habitable planets?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
What research have you done on this so far? What have you found?

Likes Vanadium 50
Technically, exoplanets around brown dwarfs are not planets. The IAU definition is that a planet orbits the sun.

I think you also need to be a little more specific in your questions: "What would we expect habitable planets around Brown Dwarfs to be like?" Um....we'd expect them to be habitable, I guess.

If you are looking for more, you'll have to point us in the right direction.

Vanadium 50 said:
Technically, exoplanets around brown dwarfs are not planets. The IAU definition is that a planet orbits the sun.

I think you also need to be a little more specific in your questions: "What would we expect habitable planets around Brown Dwarfs to be like?" Um....we'd expect them to be habitable, I guess.
Habitable, perhaps, but also inhospitable!

Vanadium 50 said:

If you are looking for more, you'll have to point us in the right direction.

I will be referring to them as planets for the sake of discussion and simplicity.

I am looking for information about the general appearance of such worlds and general answers to my questions. To say they are "habitable" does not do much to answer my questions, as that is already a given factor in my line of questioning.

More specific questions - What would general light conditions be? Would stars be visible during the day around planets in the habitable zones of brown dwarfs? What would we expect their general appearance to be?