What is the Outlet Temperature of a Compressed Air Flow?

In summary, the problem involves air entering a compressor at 100kPa and 20 degrees Celsius and being compressed to 1 Mpa. The heat loss is 10% of the compressor's power. The air enters with a speed of 50m/s and exits with a speed of 120 m/s. Using the ideal gas law and thermodynamic tables, the density of the air at the inlet conditions can be determined as well as the mass flow rate. From there, the final density and pressure can be used to calculate the final temperature. This temperature can then be used to find the enthalpies from the thermodynamic table and solve for the heat and work using the given equation. However, the problem only asks for the outlet temperature
FreelandME

Homework Statement

Air enters a compressor at 100kPa and 20 oC in steady flow rate . Air is compressed to 1 Mpa. The heat loss is 10% of the power of the compressor . Air enters with speed of 50m/s in a surface of 0,009 m2 and leaves with speed 120 m/s from a surface of 0,0005 m2.

Find the output temperature .

Homework Equations

[/B]
Q12 - W 12 = m [ h2 - h1 + (V2- V1)/2+ g (z2-z1)] (1)
m=pAV (mass flow rate)

The Attempt at a Solution

confused how i should use the data to find temperature (i'm pretty sure thermodynamic table of properties of air can be used )

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the density of the air coming in. What is the mass flow rate of the air through the compressor?

Chet

There is no information about either , the only thing we can use are thermodynamic tables but i really have no idea how to use them in the current problem

FreelandME said:
There is no information about either , the only thing we can use are thermodynamic tables but i really have no idea how to use them in the current problem
If you know that temperature and pressure of a gas, then the density of the gas is determined. At the inlet conditions, the ideal gas law should provide a very accurate estimate of the air density. If you are not happy with the accuracy of that, then you can use your thermodynamic tables. (You are aware that density is the reciprocal of specific volume, correct?) So, what is the density of the air at the inlet conditions.

Chet

So i find from the ideal gas law that the density of air is ~1.28 kg/m3 so with that i find the mass flow which is m=0.576 kg/s , but how can i find the temperature in outlet in order to find the h2 and finish the problem

FreelandME said:
So i find from the ideal gas law that the density of air is ~1.28 kg/m3 so with that i find the mass flow which is m=0.576 kg/s , but how can i find the temperature in outlet in order to find the h2 and finish the problem
The mass flow rate is constant, and you know the final volumetric flow rate, so you know the final density. If you know the final density and final pressure, you know the final temperature.

Chet

So the
m=pA2V2 => p=9.6 kg/m3
from ideal gas law
p=MP/RT
we get T2~367.78 K

is that correct or do i miss something ?

FreelandME said:
So the
m=pA2V2 => p=9.6 kg/m3
from ideal gas law
p=MP/RT
we get T2~367.78 K

is that correct or do i miss something ?
Yes, if you did the arithmetic correctly.

Chet

then i use the T2 and T1 to find enthalpies from ideal gas proprties of air table and solve
Q12 - W 12 = m [ h2 - h1 + (V2- V1)/2+ g (z2-z1)] (1)
where z2-z1=0
m=0.576 kg/s
Q=0.1 W
and h2-h1 the enthalpies from the table?

Is that correct right?

I thought that all the problem asked for was the outlet temperature, which you already have.

Chet

Related to What is the Outlet Temperature of a Compressed Air Flow?

1. What is a thermodynamics compressor?

A thermodynamics compressor is a mechanical device that increases the pressure and temperature of a gas by decreasing its volume. It is commonly used in refrigerators, air conditioners, and other cooling systems.

2. How does a thermodynamics compressor work?

A thermodynamics compressor works by using a piston or impeller to compress the gas. As the gas is compressed, its molecules are forced closer together, increasing its temperature and pressure. This compressed gas is then released into a condenser where it cools and condenses into a liquid form.

3. What is the purpose of a thermodynamics compressor?

The purpose of a thermodynamics compressor is to transfer heat from one location to another by compressing and expanding a gas. This allows for the cooling of a space or object, making it useful in various industries such as food storage, transportation, and air conditioning.

4. What are the different types of thermodynamics compressors?

There are two main types of thermodynamics compressors: positive displacement compressors and dynamic compressors. Positive displacement compressors use a piston or other mechanical means to compress the gas, while dynamic compressors use rotating impellers to increase the gas pressure.

5. What are the factors that affect the efficiency of a thermodynamics compressor?

The efficiency of a thermodynamics compressor can be affected by several factors, including the type and design of the compressor, the gas being compressed, and the operating conditions such as temperature and pressure. Regular maintenance and proper sizing for the intended application can also impact the efficiency of a compressor.