What Is the Origin of the Singlet State in Quantum Mechanics?

• I
  • Thread starter Physgeek64
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Singlet
In summary, a singlet is a type of particle with a spin of 0 and is considered the simplest quantum mechanical system. It can arise through spin pairing or particle decay and has properties such as being a boson, having a neutral charge, and being its own antiparticle. Examples of singlets can be found in subatomic particles and chemical reactions, and they are important in the Standard Model and have practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and nuclear imaging.
Physgeek64
I'm currently reading "Quantum Mechanics, The Theoretical Minimum" and on page 166 the singlet state is introduced. However there is no explanation as to where this comes from and appears to be plucked from thin air. I had a look at a previous PF thread https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/how-do-i-get-the-singlet-state.67769/ however I'm a complete novice when it comes to QM and this is slightly beyond my knowledge. I would be very greatful is someone could possibly explain this to me either fully or partially.

Many thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
A very general statement would be that a singlet (with regard to specific symmetry) is a state that is not affected by operations (that keep the symmetry)
it is like a scaler.
A good examples are:
1) spin-0 particles are singlets with regards to rotations
2) uncharged particles are singlets with regards to the em field (u(1) internal symmetry)

ohad said:
A very general statement would be that a singlet (with regard to specific symmetry) is a state that is not affected by operations (that keep the symmetry)
it is like a scaler.
A good examples are:
1) spin-0 particles are singlets with regards to rotations
2) uncharged particles are singlets with regards to the em field (u(1) internal symmetry)
Thank you for your reply :) what do you mean by "with regard to specific symmetry"? :)

Many thanks

Physgeek64 said:
what do you mean by "with regard to specific symmetry"? :)

in the example of spin-0 - rotations, the symmetry is rotation.
singlet is relative abstract mathematical notion, so the answers will be usually abstruct.

Physgeek64 said:
I'm currently reading "Quantum Mechanics, The Theoretical Minimum" and on page 166 the singlet state is introduced. However there is no explanation as to where this comes from and appears to be plucked from thin air. I had a look at a previous PF thread https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/how-do-i-get-the-singlet-state.67769/ however I'm a complete novice when it comes to QM and this is slightly beyond my knowledge. I would be very greatful is someone could possibly explain this to me either fully or partially.

Google "spontaneous parametric down conversion" and select whatever option tickles your fancy.

This is about the addition of angular momenta and not about "parametric downconversion", which is way more complicated. The mathematical question is that after the eigenvalue problem of the total-spin operator which is a sum of two independent spins. You have to get familiar with the tensor product of Hilbert spaces (in this case the somewhat simpler case of finite-dimensional Hilbert spaces) and how to solve the eigenvalue problem of angular-momentum operators (in this case simplifying to the eigenvalue problem of finite-dimensional hermitean matrices).

As will turn out in your case, adding two spins 1/2, the sum contains vectors of total spin 0 (singlet) and total spin 1 (triplet), and the basis of eigenvectors is

for total spin 1:
$$|S=1,\Sigma_z=1 \rangle=|s_1=1/2,\sigma_z^{(1)}=1/2;s_2=1/2,\sigma_z^{(2)}=1/2 \rangle,$$
$$|S=1,\Sigma_z=0 \rangle=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (|s_1=1/2,\sigma_z^{(1)}=1/2;s_2=1/2,\sigma_z^{(2)}=-1/2 \rangle + |s_1=1/2,\sigma_z^{(1)}=-1/2;s_2=1/2,\sigma_z^{(2)}=1/2 \rangle),$$
$$|S=1,\Sigma=-1 \rangle = |s_1=1/2,\sigma_z^{(1)}=-1/2;s_2=1/2,\sigma_z^{(2)=-1/2}.$$

for total spin 0:
$$|S=0,\Sigma_z=0 \rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (|s_1=1/2,\sigma_z^{(1)}=1/2;s_2=1/2,\sigma_z^{(2)}=-1/2 \rangle - |s_1=1/2,\sigma_z^{(1)}=-1/2;s_2=1/2,\sigma_z^{(2)}=1/2 \rangle).$$

Physgeek64 said:

Perhaps a simpler explanation. If you have two spin-1/2 particles, then together they form a two-particle system, where the spins can either add (which roughly means they are spinning in the same direction) or cancel (which roughly means they are spinning in opposite directions). So, the total spin of the system is either 0 or 1.

In any case, if you measure the total spin of the two-particle system you will get either 0 or 1.

If you get 0, then the particles are said to be in the singlet state. The reason it is called singlet is that there is only one combination of the two spin-1/2 particles that gives a total spin of 0.

By contrast, the triplet state corresponds to a total spin of 1, and there are three linear combinations of the individual spins that give a total spin of 1.

Likes vanhees71

Related to What Is the Origin of the Singlet State in Quantum Mechanics?

1. What is a singlet?

A singlet is a type of particle that has a spin of 0, meaning it has no angular momentum. It is a fundamental concept in particle physics and is often referred to as the simplest possible quantum mechanical system.

2. How does a singlet arise?

A singlet can arise through a process called spin pairing, where two particles with opposite spins interact and their individual spins cancel out, resulting in a singlet state. It can also arise through the decay of other particles.

3. What are the properties of a singlet?

A singlet has a spin of 0, which means it is a boson and follows Bose-Einstein statistics. It also has a neutral charge and is its own antiparticle.

4. What are some real-life examples of singlets?

Singlets can be found in various subatomic particles, such as the neutral pion, which is a meson composed of a quark and an antiquark in a singlet state. They can also arise in certain chemical reactions and in the decay of atomic nuclei.

5. How are singlets important in physics?

Singlets play a crucial role in the Standard Model of particle physics and help us understand the fundamental forces and interactions between particles. They also have practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and nuclear imaging.